Chainset

focuz
focuz Posts: 150
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Have new 105 chainset, worth upgrading to ultegra? theres £25 difference, the 105 is just ugly and pretty heavy.

Comments

• Seems like gud enuff reason
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    surely if you already have the 105 the difference in price is irrelevant as you will need to buy the Ultegra but not the 105?

whats the weight difference? I wouldn't have thought it is noticeable on its own
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    No real difference in performance but for £25 I'd get one.
  • Vandiesel
    Vandiesel Posts: 506
    I upgraded from 105 to Ultegra 6700 and have to say I'm glad I did it!
    It's noticeably smoother on changing probably a tad lighter and the asthmatics are much more pleasing!
    For £25 just do it!
    Are you going standard or compact?
    Hths
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    How are you able to upgrade it for £25??

Or is this a bike that's still at the ordering stage?

For £25 I'd probably do it just for the slightly increased bling factor, and the worry that if I didn't I'd be wishing I had.

In the dark I can't detect any difference between my 9 speed Tiagra and 10 speed 105
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Chris Bass wrote:
    surely if you already have the 105 the difference in price is irrelevant as you will need to buy the Ultegra but not the 105?

whats the weight difference? I wouldn't have thought it is noticeable on its own

Weight difference is less than 100g. The biggest difference is the Ultegra chainset has much stiffer rings so better shifter.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Vandiesel wrote:
    the asthmatics are much more pleasing Hths

Wow, that's some upgrade, I didn't realise Shimano chainsets came with a new set of lungs! ;-)
    Don't ya just luv predictive txt
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Vandiesel
    Vandiesel Posts: 506
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Vandiesel wrote:
    the asthmatics are much more pleasing Hths

Wow, that's some upgrade, I didn't realise Shimano chainsets came with a new set of lungs! ;-)
    Don't ya just luv predictive txt
    Lol Poxy phone!
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I've been thinking for some time that I want to get rid of the R565 chainset that came with my bike, probably replace it with a 6700 or 6800 (but still working with 10 speed) chainset. But I can't really find much information on it to suggest if it's worth the outlay.

$T2eC16FHJHYE9nzpcDT9BRIU+3i)e!~~60_35.JPG

I'm not, massively concerned about the weight, or the shifting, but I always appreciate a bit of extra stiffness.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I am sure I rread somewhere its "between" tiagra and 105
  • markhewitt1978
    zx6man wrote:
    I am sure I rread somewhere its "between" tiagra and 105

I read the same but not sure what that means in practice tbh. I suppose at the very least Ultegra won't be a downgrade!
  • markhewitt1978
    I saw a video saying the 6800 compact crank is 680g and if the above picture is right at approx 800g then that's a 120g saving, which isn't exactly going to make my bike be under the UCI weight limit but every little helps.