hybrid to mountain bike

davegore2005
davegore2005 Posts: 87
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
big mistake this morning....after a three day weekend my boardman hybrid was stabled in the shed but son's trek mountain bike was in the front porch of the house...even though i have owned a few MTB's over the years I am really a roadie at heart, I haven't actually ridden a mountain bike for quite a while...until this morning

the 5 miles to work seemed a lot longer.....a lot longer actually...but the biggest thing to get a handle on was actually not being clipped in as I have SPD's on my hybrid, my son's bike was slow, heavy, not very responsive and I had kind of imagined when we chose it for him that it seemed light years from the mountain bikes of a few years ago, how wrong I was

suffice to say the boardman is ready to go for tomorrow, lesson learned the hard way

Dave

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    big mistake this morning....after a three day weekend my boardman hybrid was stabled in the shed but son's trek mountain bike was in the front porch of the house...even though i have owned a few MTB's over the years I am really a roadie at heart, I haven't actually ridden a mountain bike for quite a while...until this morning

the 5 miles to work seemed a lot longer.....a lot longer actually...but the biggest thing to get a handle on was actually not being clipped in as I have SPD's on my hybrid, my son's bike was slow, heavy, not very responsive and I had kind of imagined when we chose it for him that it seemed light years from the mountain bikes of a few years ago, how wrong I was

suffice to say the boardman is ready to go for tomorrow, lesson learned the hard way

Dave
    I assume you will be buying him a new bike soon if the current one is so bad.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Over 5 miles, it won't be that long - it will just feel like it as you're not used to it.
    I don't own a road-bike. Do my 26 mile round-trip commute on an MTB.
    (I did have the option of buying a road bike, but ended up buying another MTB :lol: )

It all depends on the price of your son's MTB. Weight wise, the lower-end bikes still weigh the same as the old 1980s Raleighs that i used to ride.
    The nearer you get to the magical £1k mark, the lighter the bikes become. There is a world of difference between my old £400 Felt and my Cube.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    and tyre pressure and knobblieness of said tyres
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • probably a combination of knobblies, weight, position, to be honest when we got it at Christmas i thought it seemed pretty light for an MTB, it's a trek 4300, i think it retailed at about £550 so not actually bargain basement, just really not for me

Dave
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    those front forks weigh a ton - and they are of no use to you on the road
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • let's just say it was a delight to climb onto my bike this morning, locked the forks out too on the MTB

Dave
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    fat_tail wrote:
    those front forks weigh a ton - and they are of no use to you on the road

Meh they and other features, namely fatter tyres do cope with potholes rather well!

Which there has been a few threads about, of recent namely the state of the roads, a half decent hard trail like that should be in the 30lb mark shouldn't feel heavy in use really.