New Chain Noise

gotwood25
gotwood25 Posts: 314
edited March 2014 in Workshop
I've just fitted a new chain and for some reason which I can't figure out it's making more noise than the one it replaced. Nothing too excessive but it is bugging me.

Do they need to bed in at all? It's my first experience of putting one on. Just to add ours a like for like replacement and exactly the same link count. I am using a KMC missing link on this one where previous it was a SRAM link not that that would make any difference.

Comments

• Only thing I can think of is the new chain going onto an old cassette which has worn with the chain and the new one doesn't quite sync with it? How stretched was the chain you took off and how many miles on the cassette>
  • gotwood25
    Around 1500 miles, not overly warn as I've taken really good care cleaning after every ride and degreasing/lubing often. Only swapped the chain as got a new wheel set and cassette, get the same noise on those as well.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Have you lubed the new chain? IME the factory goo is primarily to stop corrosion in storage / distribution, and a drop of light oil on each roller is required to make it a bit quieter.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    What make of chain? I've found SRAM ones can be a bit noisy.
  • gotwood25
    Yes lubed, did it again yesterday to make sure it's penetrating. Ultegra chain so exact like for like.

I think it's improved slightly after another 30 miles on it so think it may just a 'bedding' in thing. At least that's what I'm hoping :-)
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I found a similar issue with a new chain - turned out to be a warm cassette, so worth checking.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If you've got a new wheelset and cassette then are you sure it's correctly indexed? It may be a fraction of a turn out ...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    g00se wrote:
    I found a similar issue with a new chain - turned out to be a warm cassette, so worth checking.

Jesus! Just how fast were you going??
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,643
    Is it threaded through the rear derailleur properly?
  • Might sound silly, but have you got the chain fitted the right way round? KMC and SRAM are multi-directional, Ultegra are single direction (it leads with a slightly narrower edge)
  • gotwood25
    Cheers for all the replies...

Seated in the derailleur properly - I am fairly certain it is and would expect a lot more noise if it wasn't.
    Indexing - Its Di2 so shouldn't be an issue
    Chain Right Way Round - words on the link facing outwards (I believe that is correct)

I am having a proper man have a look at it as we speak so will report back if he finds anything... unless it is a really stupid thing that I've done and therefore will never come back to this thread :D
  • gotwood25
    Bike guy trimmed the rear derailleur a small amount but didn't think there was any adverse chain noise.
    Must just be my ears.
  • slowbike
    gotwood25 wrote:
    Chain Right Way Round - words on the link facing outwards (I believe that is correct)
    Ultegra chain has the slots on one of the face plates - that has to be on the outside ...
  • gotwood25
    Slowbike wrote:
    gotwood25 wrote:
    Ultegra chain has the slots on one of the face plates - that has to be on the outside ...

Not exactly sure what that means but in the instruction manual it showed the writing on the chain on the outside. Thats what I went with.
  • slowbike
    gotwood25 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    gotwood25 wrote:

Not exactly sure what that means but in the instruction manual it showed the writing on the chain on the outside. Thats what I went with.

ok - this is mine:
    36875.jpg

and the way you see it in the photo is the way it is fitted to the bike - the slotted bit on the outside.

You may have a different ultegra chain?
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    That's wrong. Slots go on inside. https://www.bike-components.de/bedienun ... n-5701.pdf
  • slowbike
    bobones wrote:
    Oops! :oops:

Odd - because (I'm sure) the bike came like that (second hand) from someone who I'd've thought would've set it up "correctly" and I'm sure I read it in instructions somewhere else ... I must've been in LaLa land!
  • gotwood25
    Hahaha you guys had me worried for a little bit.

Anyway, chain is fitted correctly and the slight adjustment on the rear derailleur has got rid of the noise! Again thanks to all for your replies, even if they did nearly make me remove my chain and switch it around :-)