Avid Brakes Bleeding Problems..

rhysyd
rhysyd Posts: 141
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Ill try and go through very detailed so here its goes!

Tried taking front wheel off to fit in the car. Took the front wheel off pressed the brake levers by accident. Noticed a lot of fluid coming from the front brake. Front lever lost all tension and now is completely loose, no pressure whatsoever.

So after a quick google, I come to the conclusion that they need bleeding. Anyway bought a kit, followed all instructions. When I came to injecting there was no go in either of the syringes. It wouldn't give way at all, asif the cables were full. I dunno anyway, I want to try and learn things like this other then going to the bike shop once a fortnight!

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    if its elixirs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoaPUw5DliA

piss easy to do.

check that you've not pushed the piston out too far.
  • Forgive me if i'm teaching you to suck egss.

Have you put the piston back into the caliper ?
    Are the clips on both syringes open ?
    Is the lever pulled towards the bar ?

Iv had to bleed my elixer's quite a bit recently and HATE them.
    Specialized FSR XC Comp
    Scott Speedster S55
  • alexthebear
    alexthebear Posts: 349
    [quote="PlymouthSam"
    Iv had to bleed my elixer's quite a bit recently and HATE them.[/quote]

Exactly the reason I was told not to bleed mine to begin with and put the money towards a set of shimano SLX.
  • [quote="PlymouthSam"

Exactly the reason I was told not to bleed mine to begin with and put the money towards a set of shimano SLX.[/quote]

To tell you the truth they were an absolute steal and needed brakes ASAP. Bought them through CRC at £22.50 each. Dirt cheap and I now know why. When they work I can't really fault them...... It's getting them to work which is the difficult bit.
    Specialized FSR XC Comp
    Scott Speedster S55
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's getting them to work which is the difficult bit.
    Not difficult, just follow the youtube video and they work fine.

Having said that you need to determine how and why fluid came out, it shouldn't have as the pads should stop the pistons coming out far enough to do that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    [quote="PlymouthSam"

Exactly the reason I was told not to bleed mine to begin with and put the money towards a set of shimano SLX.[/quote]

who ever told you that was a moron, they are no harder to bleed to than shimano.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    POAH wrote:

Exactly the reason I was told not to bleed mine to begin with and put the money towards a set of shimano SLX.

who ever told you that was a moron, they are no harder to bleed to than shimano.

Easier, infact. Elixirs are an absolute doddle to bleed.

As has already been mentioned, check out a few vids on it - SRAMs own vid is excellent (link here). You also need to establish why the fluid leaked in the first place, as as Rookie said, shouldn't really be possible.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    POAH wrote:

Having run and bled both bottom level avids, and shimanos - shimano takes it. By far.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    People on here keep saying shimanos are easier to bleed but nobody has said in what way? What step do you have to do with Elixirs that you dont need to do with Shimano?
  • poah
    POAH wrote:

Having run and bled both bottom level avids, and shimanos - shimano takes it. By far.

don't see how
  • rhysyd
    It's gonna have to be a bike shop job. I put a peg nineteen the instead of a block would that be a problem. Also what possible reasons is there for the fluid to come out?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Again in English please?

Fluid comes out when you have a hole, with the information you've given I could come up with about 100 ideas but that wouldn't help, so more info is needed, perhaps a photo with a 'fluid seen here' arrow!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • alexthebear
    alexthebear Posts: 349
    It's not so much that I was told their hard to do but more the fact that once they have been done they will need doing more regularly there after. The person in question is a cytech level 3 qualified mechanic who has been in the trade some 15yrs so I tend to trust his judgement.
  • poah
    It's not so much that I was told their hard to do but more the fact that once they have been done they will need doing more regularly there after. The person in question is a cytech level 3 qualified mechanic who has been in the trade some 15yrs so I tend to trust his judgement.

sorry but he is talking pish - probably just doesn't like doing it because its not simple enough for him
  • pesky_jones
    POAH wrote:

sorry but he is talking pish - probably just doesn't like doing it because its not simple enough for him

:D Opposed to Shimanos which are really simple to do? You do realise you just made our point, right?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535

No reason whatsoever why the rebleed (if done properly) would be any different to the factory bleed - so it is absolute pish to say that once they have been done it will need doing more regularly.

He may be biased because of the old Juicy's - mine never worked properly and I bled them several times in a bid to get the brakes working - not sure it was ever the bleeding that was needed but the juicys were just rubbish - always scraping, always needing calipers readjusted, pinging springs, squeal, allsorts. Elixirs are a totally different beast. I was ready to dump Avid and go shimano until I got a bike with Elixir 1s fitted from the factory - havent touched them in 3 years...!
  • WOW thanks guys, i didnt even think of looking on SRAM's website for a how to video........

Im assuming a fair few people are having problems bleeding their Elixirs as i emailed CRC to say mine are faulty ( they shouldnt need bleeding after each ride ) CRC have sent out a replacement with no need to send the faulty brake back. Cracking service !
    Specialized FSR XC Comp
    Scott Speedster S55
  • https://www.sram.com/service
    well worth lookinh here before some other random link .
  • poah
    POAH wrote:

:D Opposed to Shimanos which are really simple to do? You do realise you just made our point, right?

you should be a politician with the ability to read between the lines like that.
  • pesky_jones
    POAH wrote:
    POAH wrote:

you should be a politician with the ability to read between the lines like that.

You should work for AA with that attempt at recovery.
  • poah
    You should work for AA with that attempt at recovery.

no recovery needed - both shimano and avid elixirs are simple to bleed. if you can bleed a shimano brake you should have no issue with an elixir. if you do then you have problems and probably find putting socks on properly a problem in the morning.
  • rhysyd
    Everytime I pressed the lever, the brake fluid used to squirt out. I took the caliper completely apart then noticed it was coming from a hole which is ment to be there. So I put it all back together (the 2 parts of the caliper) pressed lever and no leakage? maybe I had the screws loose. But now I need to try and bleed it again cause theres no pressure in the lever whatsoever. Can somebody explain to me what the pistons are cause im very confused! and how does the lever and piston need to be when bleeding video only explains lever?

photo_1.jpg

cdgu8nj73
  • rhysyd
    photo_2.jpg