planet x cnc vs sram force brakeset

Sta81
Sta81 Posts: 56
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
hello everyone!

im about to get a new brakeset for my supersix and just cant decide wether to get sram force or planet x cnc.Ive been reading on the net about them and the more i read the more i get confused..Has anyone tried the planet X ones and then went to sram or vice versa?

cheers!!!

Comments

• banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Don' t know about planet x, but Force is superb, I have red as well but can't tell the difference.
  • If you want greater stopping power then the Srams will be more powerful as they're dual pivot whereas the PX are lighter but will be less powerful due to being a single pivot with cam design. Aesthetics aside, it depends whether weight or power is the priority to you, and we're only talking 80g difference between the two.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Been riding my winter bike with Apex brakes for months now. Finally took the summer bike out (fitted with Force group set) on Saturday and Sunday and he difference is night and day. Force brakes are very good.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Got both - Px on TT bike / force on road bike. No contest Sram force much better more powerful and come with swiss stop pads. PX are certainly light so fine unless you want to stop.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    If you want greater stopping power then the Srams will be more powerful as they're dual pivot whereas the PX are lighter but will be less powerful due to being a single pivot with cam design. Aesthetics aside, it depends whether weight or power is the priority to you, and we're only talking 80g difference between the two.

Spot on. The SRAM will also be easier to set up.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • focuz
    focuz Posts: 150
    +1 for sram, as for the px, even though there light there just annoying to keep centring after nearly every ride. Makes me want to swap.
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143
    I guess it depends on what the opening post wants from the brakeset. I have a set of the PXs on one bike as well as D/A, SRAM Red and some I branded ones on other bikes.

The PXs are the lightest and work adequately and thankfully I have not had problems with centering the brakes (but there is technique and I can well imagine them being difficult).

However, my 'best bikes' are fitted with the SRAM or the D/A as I know they just get on and do the job really well (better in my view than the PXs, which are middling in performance but certainly not so poor as to not use them). Happy to concede a few grams on brakes, just fill your water bottle with one mouthful less if you are that concerned.
  • Sta81
    Sta81 Posts: 56
    i dont mind the extra few grams of the sram brakes..i do like the way the PX's look but then again id like more braking power than looks..currently my bike has a set of apex calipers and with swiss black and kool stop salmons ive been satisfied with the braking performance..i think im gonna go with sram again (my supersix is a mix and match of sram components anyway)..
    thanx everyone on their oppinion!
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    I have not tried Sram but I have PX CNC and Ultegra 6700. Ultegra 6700 has significant better braking using the same pads.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Force.

Also see: viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12961399 some good links in there.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • I wouldn't bother with the PX brakes. I persisted with mine for ages until a couple of weeks ago when I finally got replacements (shimano). The PX needed constant recentering, especially after taking a wheel out, the barrel adjuster thread on the front brake wore out after little use, and I was never fully confident with them on long descents.

The only thing going for them was the weight.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    PX are way more hassle than they're worth. For lightweight and fantastic power/modulation you have to step up to EE Cycleworks.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • You need to take out a mortgage first however...
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    You need to take out a mortgage first however...

Gotta pay to play. ;)
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    After my own experience with Ultegra callipers, I have just bought some for my GF's bike. Her Campag callipers do not work well with the levergae of her new 6770 levers and shifters. I looked at Force but Ultegra are half the price, dual pivot and only 29g heavier.

Braking performance with the Ultegras is phenomenal and they are worth considering.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    Do not get PX
  • I have just gone to the Ultegra's which I found cheapest at Wiggle would you believe, siginificant improvement on the PX so far.
  • limoneboy
    limoneboy Posts: 480
    Force any day , cnc grub screw thread after first adjustment.
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1