Waking up and getting up has never been easy

Phil_D
Phil_D Posts: 467
edited March 2014 in Commuting general
My wife has started to complain that my alarm clock is too loud for her. It wakes her at ten to five every morning and she can't get back to sleep.

Normally I wouldn't care, but she's heavily pregnant so I have a duty of care.

At present my alarm is on my phone: no sound, just vibrate. And I put it on a sock to dampen the vibrations.

You might think that it would be quiet enough to not wake anybody up, but not so.

Does anyone have any solutions to this problem? A silent alarm clock that will wake me up.

I'm thinking of something that will go round my wrist and vibrate or send a mild electronic shock to wake me, and not my wife, up.

Cheers.

Comments

• Sleep in a different room.
    I did it with my wife when she was at the "I JUST WANT IT OUT!!!" phase.
    After 2 days she apologised and admitted that she had a worse night sleep when I wasn't there. :twisted:
    (That, or she was playing the long-game and realised that if I was alseep in a different room she couldn't rely on me to wait on her hand-and-foot or wake up when the baby started crying)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    Get her ear plugs and tell her to stop being such a drama queen.
    Think of it as practice for one it arrives.
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    Assuming you wear pajamas, put the phone on vibrate and put it in your pocket. That's what I did a few months ago when faced with the exact same situation. It worked a treat.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • Phil_D
    Ride hard wrote:
    Assuming you wear pajamas, put the phone on vibrate and put it in your pocket. That's what I did a few months ago when faced with the exact same situation. It worked a treat.

Great idea. Thanks.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Make a cup of tea, put a record on.
  • Phil_D
    Make a cup of tea, put a record on.

If a silent phone wakes her up, the kettle definitely will
  • Trade her in for A LESS DRAMATIC MODEL!
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Cranked
    Cranked Posts: 3
    I use a watch with a silent vibrating alarm (a Timex Expedition from Amazon), works a treat.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I find I usually wake up 10 mins before the alarm goes off anyway, whatever time it's set to!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Get a cat. Regardless how much you feed it at first light it'll jump on the bed and demand more food. So long as you're the only one who ever feeds it your partner will remain in the arms of Morpheus.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Who wears pyjamas?

when my missus was heavily pregnant (little toe is 10 weeks old, i am speaking from recent experience) She never slept anyway, she couldnt get comfy, so i am not sure what the problem is, wait until the little one is here and then let her complain.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • LiveGiantly
    LiveGiantly Posts: 348
    I find I usually wake up 10 mins before the alarm goes off anyway, whatever time it's set to!

I find I wake up before the alarm too, especially if I went to bed at a good time the night before....
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    My wife has one of these http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/HF3500_01/ ... with-light

I couldn't tell you what the alarm sounds like as I've never heard it, the light wakes her up before the noise kicks in, and as it's on her side of the bed the light doesn't bother me either.