free wheel hub for boardman pro mtb

Shady207
Shady207 Posts: 10
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all
can anyone help
im trying to get a replacement freewheel hub for my boardman mtb

im told this is a male to female hub and all i can find on interweb is standard female to male

hope someone can shed some light
thanks
Lawrence

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Halfords?
  • Shady207
    halfords cant find one :(
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    Shady207 wrote:
    halfords cant find one :(

Hmm ... now why won't that surprise a lot of people?! :roll:

I had the freehub go on my Boardman Team HT (2012/13 model); it was a Formula Freehub, but unsure what model. My Halfords store were able to source one though ...

Being the 'Pro', you might have a better hub ... either way, I wouldn't take Halfords' initial response lying down; sounds like they weren't trying hard enough ... either go back and ask again, find another store, or check the website for their HQ contact details.

You might find more joy at a LBS ... My Saracen Cross bike needed a new freehub recently (Formula again!) so I took it in to a LBS that deals Saracen bikes, and they were able to track one down for me ...
  • Shady207
    i was sat at their pc with the manager of the bikehut for hour and a holf trawling through sites.... i can get loads of female one but zero male ones show apart from a sram x9 thats showing in america!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Looks the same as on my Boardman road bike. It's a Formula hub and its a pile of sh1t. They last about 10 minutes and Halfords take a week to get replacements. Not cheap either.
    Use it as an excuse to get a better wheel.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    someone on this thread got one: viewtopic.php?t=12922083&p=18318741

and here: viewtopic.php?p=16588203

And I found someone suggesting that this fitted theirs: http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/bontrage ... 44735.html

or this: http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-fr ... 56396.html

You could even look at this: http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-fr ... 33700.html

Good luck!
  • Shady207
    so not only could i not find the freewheel that was needed
    the wheels on my bike have no identification either, nor does the hubs, or casette.... this made finding the right part a royal pain in the a55

so ive brought a new wheel set, with a new casette. the wheels have deore hubs on so when i need a new freewheel it will be a simple task to purchase.

i feel sorry for the guys at my local halfords ( a couple of them i ride with so they have seen my pain 1st hand)
    but boardman need to step up with the availability of their spare parts,
    i notice 2014 boarman MTB's have listed hubs, casettes and bottom brackets have changed also

i also had major trouble with my BB... resulting in 3 replacements, 1 new bike, 1 complete new scram x7 crank.

my rant is now over.. i hope nobody else has this problem but if you do ' BUY NEW WHEELS!' :)
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    Odd that ... would have thought Halfords would have been able to sort you out?

Did you have your bike from new, and what model year?

Maybe the Pro had different wheels / hubs to my Boardman Team ... my hubs are also unbranded, but the spec on the website state they are formula, and Halfords were able to source a replacement freehub for me ...

Seems a bit cr*p that you ahd to buy a new wheel, cassette etc (although presumably you could have used the old cassette?)
  • rockmonkeysc
    They seem to use a few cheap and nasty parts which are difficult to identify and they don't keep stock.
    The hubs are nasty Formula ones. No idea what the headset in mine is (other than a rusty piece of junk).
    To be fair to Halfords, they have replaced three freehubs free of charge after they only lasted a few weeks each but it took them a week to get each one.
  • I've found that the SRAM X9 V2 freehub will fit Formula hubs so you could try that.
  • rescott72
    rescott72 Posts: 4
    I'm having the same problem. Although mine is the Boardman Road Race 2013 model. I ordered the Bontrager freehub from from JE James that apreading recommended, however it takes cartridge bearings as oppose to regular bearings, so its gone back along with broken freehub to see if they can find a match. Just thought I'd post this incase someone else is having the same problem. If JE James cant find a match then its probably new wheels for me. PS Halfords say they have none in stock and neither do the manufacturers - its looking like its going to be discontinued.

Heres a pic if it helps anyone...
  • apreading
    Blimey, it looks like it was available as recently as May (if its the same as the one on the CX):

viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12796558&p=18859114&hilit=124100#p18859114

Did you try the part number referred to there?
  • apreading
    Oh - and sorry, cant remember where I found the post from someone saying the Bontrager one worked now but obviously duff information. I apologise if this caused you any hassle...!
  • rockmonkeysc
    When I needed my fourth one in three months for my Boardman Road Race my local shop pointed out that it was £35 for another crappy Formula freehub or only £50 for a complete Shimano wheel so I bought the wheel and haven't had a problem since.
  • No worries apreading, I quite enjoyed the thrill of the chase ;). JE James couldnt find a match so I decided to buy a new set of wheels instead (Shimano RS30 in white) the bike now looks, and rides, like the biz! Still looking out for a free hub though incase I decide to build another bike.