Reverb Query

*AJ*
*AJ* Posts: 1,080
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a query about my 2013 Rockshox Reverb seat post. I purchased it new from Wiggle in April 2013 and I have recently noticed that when lifting the bike by the saddle the post will extend through all of its travel (I keep the post retracted when storing the bike or transporting to limit damage) before I can actually lift the bike. This didn't happen when the seat post was new, it hasn't been used a massive amount due to me breaking my collar bone last July, so it’s probably seen less than 20 hours riding in 11 months.

I have also noticed that I can compress the seat post a bit (5mm) without pressing the remote.

I have looked at the service videos online and the part one SRAM video on YouTube states that if I can compress the seat post at all without using the remote then the seat post needs to be sent to a SRAM service centre for repair. However, I’m not sure if this means the seat post will just need a service?

I guess I’m asking if anybody has any experience of this and do I need to be sending the seat post to TFT for a service or back to Wiggle for repair work? Obviously it’s still under warranty but I don’t want to be charged for a service from them and waste time if it’s cheaper and quicker to have it done by TFT?

Any advice would be greatly received.

Kind regards

Comments

• dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    It's normal for the post to extend when lifting the bike by the saddle, mine don't always do it but sometimes do.

When my post starts sagging a little it's when it needs topping up with air (250psi)

Having said that the Stealth that came with my new bike sagged a little from new even with 250psi in it and correctly bled, I sent it back to Sram and got a new one under warranty
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • *AJ*
    Yeah i double checked the air pressure at the weekend, it's lost none at all since I bought it.

I realise that the saddle raising is fairly normal, but i'm sure there should be some resistance, There is none at all, it just extends fully until its at the top of its travel and then you can lift the bike. It wasn't always like this though.
  • *AJ*
    Ok, so I've had a real blonde moment I think!

School boy error by me! I'll post it though just Incase anybody else is daft enough to do the same...

To get my seat post out of the frame I have to have it compressed to allow enough slack in the hose without removing the remote from the bars.

I have then unscrewed the valve, put my shock pump on and pumped up to 250psi.

However, what I didn't think about until now was the fact that the pressure would be reading higher when the seat post is compressed. So with the shock pump attached I've just extended the seat post fully. It went from 250psi to now reading 130psi.

I have just increased the pressure to 250psi with the seat post extended and it's now working as I think it should.

Obvious really when you think about it. :oops: