HR departments?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
For anyone in the know: are HR departments answerable to anybody or are they pretty much a pointless token gesture?

Me and a colleague of mine have tried to make a complaint about a breach of contract issue we are facing, and while I've been pretty much ignored, my colleague has been told that nothing can be done because the HR department is answerable to the man who is breaching our contracts, and that they can 'see his point' anyway. It's fairly irrelevant in terms of the steps we are now taking, but I really feel we have been let down and I would like to report that fact, if possible.

Thanks

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Whilst I sympathise with you, the best take on HR departments is that they are first and foremost for the company's benefit. For the best advice , consult an employment solicitor.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I'd say that they're a law unto themselves :roll:

As has been suggested they serve an ass covering function for the employer, I'd be looking to an external source for help, maybe something like citizens advice in the first instance?

If you're part of a union I'd contact them too?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    DrLex wrote:
    Whilst I sympathise with you, the best take on HR departments is that they are first and foremost for the company's benefit. For the best advice , consult an employment solicitor.

Entirely correct. HR exist to protect the company in whatever it does. Seek proper legal advice and be prepared to fight.
    Misguided Idealist
  • jonny_trousers
    Thanks guys!

Don't worry, my union are on it and have employed their lawyers. I'd just like to drop this HR idiot in it if I can. Seems like dereliction of duty to me.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The 3 Great Lies In Life:
    1. The cheque's in the post
    2. I promise I won't c** in your mouth
    3. We're from Personnel and we're here to help you

Good luck
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    As them if they are a member of the CIPD and if they are shove a copy of the CIPD code of conduct and a screenshot of 'How to make a complaint' from the website. Being sanctioned, ejected or even just investigated by their professional body make some of them take a 2nd look at their 'opinions'.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • jonny_trousers
    Coach H wrote:
    As them if they are a member of the CIPD and if they are shove a copy of the CIPD code of conduct and a screenshot of 'How to make a complaint' from the website. Being sanctioned, ejected or even just investigated by their professional body make some of them take a 2nd look at their 'opinions'.

Nice! Thanks!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Internal Marketing is the name I heard a friend use to describe HR which is fairly accurate imo, generally they just want you to feel thankful for being allowed to work for the company.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Our HR dept is one person and she is stunning ...that is all
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.