Ksyrium SL rim wear indicators

JonEdwards
JonEdwards Posts: 452
edited April 2014 in Workshop
I have a pair of 2005 (I think) Ksyrium SLs which obviously have seen a fair few miles now. (I bought them s/hand in '06 and have done between 3k & 6k miles per year since then)

A post elsewhere on rim wear made me have a look at them, but although there's this sticker on the rim
13079839475_9f42b672e3_z.jpg
I can't find any info about what it actually means. I *think* a couple of little holes are supposed to appear when it's worn, but I can't find anything to confirm that. Ideas?
(edit - I can find support for this idea for the aftermarket rims, but not for the complete wheelsets)

The front rim isn't in bad shape, the rear is a little more concave - I need to get a new battery for my verniers, then I can at least work out how much ally has gone, even if I don't know what the wall thickness is.

I've had rims go pop in the days of mtbs with V-brakes - happened every year, year in, year out, but that's at 40psi, not 100 and at significantly lower speeds!

Cheers all!

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "For safety reasons, and also to conform to the legislation of certain countries, Mavic has chosen to provide its Touring rim range with a wear & tear
    indicator.
    The principle: a little hole appears on each of the 2 braking surfaces on the rim, when there is too much wear & tear on the rim.
    This indicator is materialized by 2 yellow arrows on the stickers on the rim, opposite the valve hole.
    Depending on the adjustment of the brake pads, it is possible for the wear & tear indicator to appear on only one of the 2 braking surfaces.
    In any case, once the wear & tear indicator appears on at least one of the 2 braking surfaces, it could be dangerous to continue to use this rim,
    and it should be replaced as soon as possible."

This from a 2002 PDF manual. Any help?
  • JonEdwards
    Sort of - I found that bit too, but it's not entirely helpful

a) Ksyriums aren't really touring rims.
    b) The manual implies this is for rims only, not complete wheelsets.
    c) No specific mention that it also applies to Ksyriums
    d) Any changes between the '02 pdf manual) and the '05 wheels?

Basically there doesn't seem to be any info on the web that refers specifically to my wheels, so I'm not sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree!
  • keef66
    And your sticker doesn't look like yellow arrows to me, more a picture suggesting you should consult the manual about something?

I'm going to get a pair of dental calipers to measure rim thickness. Just over a fiver off Ebay and no more faffing around wth bits of spoke and conventional calipers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DENTAL-METAL- ... 0562571634
  • JonEdwards
    Except that still doesn't tell you how much metal you can lose before the wheel becomes unsafe, it just puts a number to the amount you've already lost.
  • keef66
    I think for rims with no wear indicator it's generally suggested to replace when the braking track becomes obviously concave or is less than 1mm thick.

I've never had the presence of mind to measure a new set of wheels. Perhaps I'll take my dental calipers to the bike shop and have a play...
  • zhang
    zhang Posts: 222
    Did you find out whether that sticker shows the wear indicator or not? I have a pair of well used Ksyriums too and would quite like to know when to stop using them!