Out of Cycling Plus top 5 which would you go for

nufc_fan
nufc_fan Posts: 70
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
I read the recent 50 bikes for £1500-£2000 with great interest as about to but something in that range. Out of their top 5 bikes which would you opt for?

1. Cannondale Synapse
2. Focus Izalco Ergoride
3. BMC Team Machine
4. Boardman SLS 9.0
5. Giant Defy Advanced

I was also surprised not to see the Cube Agree reviewed as this is something I had been considering.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Which are the criteria to rate them?

AFAIK the BMC has integrated brakes, which are an absolute nightmare to setup and maintain and that's enough to kick it all the way down to the bottom of the list
    left the forum March 2023
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    I'm probably a little bit biased as I ride a Cannondale Synapse. Great bike.

As for the others, I doubt you can go wrong really. Give them all a try, as that's the only way you'll find out which suits you the best.

If you can't try them out, pick the one with the prettiest colour scheme. That usually works or so I'm told.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    As Ugo suggested, I'd probably avoid anything which creates a maintenance headache for the future (I'm still not convinced by internal cable routing TBH)

As long as it fits you it's hard to buy a bad bike in that price range. Depends what your priorities / riding needs are. I'd probably have the Synapse; I nearly bought one 6 years ago but in the end went for a racelight Tk because it took proper mudguards and long drop brakes and at the time the Synapse didn't.
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    They are so different we would need to know your intended use!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    Whichever one fits you best - all else is irrelevant
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    ddraver wrote:

+1
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • nufc_fan
    nufc_fan Posts: 70
    Coming from a MTB its for a planned 20 miles quick ride 2x weekly with a longer 50-60 miles at the weekend with the odd sportive here and there.

I really like the Cannondale, although it really is top of the budget. I was also considering the BMC Grandfondo which is aluminium and only £1350.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    ddraver wrote:

That.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris