Chavs shouting from cars - worst examples?

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
Seems to be something of a habit around here, whether I'm running or riding. Usually just a couple of idiots in an Astra with some happy hardcore on the underpowered stereo shouting something incomprehensible.

Most amusing examples for me was the chap who drove along side me, with girlfriend by his side, wound his window down and cruised next to me for about 100m telling me (according to his speedo) how fast I was going - seemed quite complimentary though at least.

Last night the best / worst call from such a car as the chav's braincells were stretched to think of something to say rapidly - all she could manage out of the window was "Your wheels are spinning round". What wit, what repartee!

Matt
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    larkim wrote:
    Seems to be something of a habit around here, whether I'm running or riding. Usually just a couple of idiots in an Astra with some happy hardcore on the underpowered stereo shouting something incomprehensible.

Most amusing examples for me was the chap who drove along side me, with girlfriend by his side, wound his window down and cruised next to me for about 100m telling me (according to his speedo) how fast I was going - seemed quite complimentary though at least.

Last night the best / worst call from such a car as the chav's braincells were stretched to think of something to say rapidly - all she could manage out of the window was "Your wheels are spinning round". What wit, what repartee!

Matt

Be grateful: personal experience includes someone sitting on the window sill and abusing me as they moved along, someone gobbing on me and having a full pint of milk (in carton) thrown at me

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    I`ve had "get a car" shouted from the passenger who was too young to have one himself! Soon wiped the smile off his face when I punched him at the next traffic lights ;) Only joking!

I`m lucky with the minimal about of wit shouted at me compared to some, not riding in a city must help :D
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I was once stopped just off a junction, off the road, having a bite of cereal bar and a chav stopped and shouted (a word which isn't allowed by this forum) and sped off. How rude.
  • Once got shouted at by some bloke with ginger hair. Never knew what he said but put his behaviour down to being ginger and angry with the world.
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    My favourite was a second set of verbals after a 4km pursuit to a set of red lights
    " Im really sorry mister I meant nothing by it, sorry aaah sorry" I think he may have done a little wee too.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Long time ago but I was riding home from work,up a hill,when I could hear the Bass form a car stereo coming up behind me.As it got close the Bass stopped and the car passed slowly.A young girl hung out of the window and chucked a plastic drinks bottle at me and shouted "F*****g Gay B******!"
    The bottle bounced off my helmet but luckily was empty.
    There's always one :roll:
  • rrice
    rrice Posts: 23
    Appreciate it is slightly off-piste but I was mildy amused by the shouts of "Run fat boy! Run!" from a group of bored looking teenagers as I pounded the streets of sunny Bracknell one evening.
    S-Works Enduro
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000
    Cannondale Rush 2
    Kona Explosif
    Mythic Morphine
    Giant Defy Advanced
    Carrera TDF
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    We should also celebrate the good here - two teenage girls sang the first couple of lines of "Bicycle Race" to me the other night, which at least shows a bit of originality.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    On my way to the club hill climb Autumn 2008 a 8-9 year old kid leaning out of the front passenger window f'ing and blinding at me, kind of obvious that the Olympic feelgood factor was dead.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Here people will shout 'Força!' Out of the car window, it means strength/power, as opposed to 'Foda-se!' Which is what I at first thought they were saying, which means Fcukoff! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Not from a car, but once had a group of schoolgirls sing Oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind. :)

All the way home it whirred round my head. :x
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    I've had all sorts shouted at me, luckily most of it is totally unintelligible. :roll:
    The strangest one was when I was actually stopped at a set of lights. After about 30 seconds (meaning he had not actually seen me move) a car pulled up on the left of me (turning left- I was going straight on) and a smartly dressed, mid 20's ish young man calmly said "You really cannot ride a f***ing bike", to which I equally calmly replied "And you are a w**ker". The lights changed and off he drove.
    Nothing at all had happened prior to that exchange? :shock:

Most interesting hurled object was what must have been most of a kebab, from the back of a taxi, and most disturbing was a large stone, which fortunately hit the cross bar. :(
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    A spotty oik in a fully kitted out Citroen Saxo shouted 'Oi Spandex Man' at me once. He was somewhat quieter when I pulled up alongside him at the next set of lights and asked politely what he wanted.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    I never catch what people say properly bar the odd word. Combination of road noise, wind whistle or that they only communicate in vowel noises but all I hear is an "aaaaeeeeiiiiioooou!!!" sound.

by then theyve shot past and probably chortling about some witty remark theyve made, whilst Im just still peddalling along going "huh" :lol:
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,848
    awavey wrote:
    I never catch what people say properly bar the odd word. Combination of road noise, wind whistle or that they only communicate in vowel noises but all I hear is an "aaaaeeeeiiiiioooou!!!" sound.

I've had that a few times after which I normally spend half a mile trying to memorise the number plate and rehearsing what I'll do the little scrote when I catch him in the town centre.......

....then I realise that I am dressed in the most memorable colour scheme, riding an expensive toy and wearing hard plastic cleats which offer no purchase on the ground. Kicking the little git and then running away is not going to happen.

The vision of me going ar$e over head in lycra in the middle of the High Street usually calms me down.
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    I suppose it works both ways,

I read on a caravan forum a couple days back from a delivery driver who reckoned some cyclist was shouting and swearing at him as he went past, for no good reason....

:shock:
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    While going for a segment up a local hill climb once I had a guy in a Passat estate drive alongside me most of the way up acting like a DS, telling me to go faster and just generally shouting supportive things to me. That's a good example!

Not very many 'chavs' up here, but there's obviously the occasional one shouting something that nobody can understand. Most people up here are actually quite considerate!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    I once got " 'Ere, mate!! The thing about the Tour de France is - it's in France!!' ".

Which was ironic as the year was 2007 and the Tour de France was - at that very moment - in Kent.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Both ends of the scale - I once had an appreciative nod from a driver as I crested a decent local hill at a decent pace from a standing start at the lights at the bottom.

I also had a grinning face appear out of a Nissan Micra shout something at me [no idea what] and then followed it up with the pop of an air pistol firing in my direction - I heard it whistle past my face. Plod showed interest but didn't have enough to go on apparently.
  • I was giving it everything up a 5% climb, and a car that had had to slow down for about 5 seconds to wait for a gap to overtake rolled down their window and shouted what sounded at the time to be "physcopath" combined with much swinging of arms and pointing etc.

It was only a little later down the road that I realised he'd shouted "cycle path" and was attempting to point to it ... which is why I didn't twig because at that point the cycle path was over 100-yards away the other side of a couple of rows of houses, lol.
  • markhewitt1978
    Pituophis wrote:
    IAfter about 30 seconds (meaning he had not actually seen me move) a car pulled up on the left of me (turning left- I was going straight on) and a smartly dressed, mid 20's ish young man calmly said "You really cannot ride a f***ing bike", to which I equally calmly replied "And you are a w**ker". The lights changed and off he drove.
    (

Perhaps he was a pro cyclist and was disgusted that you weren't track standing.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    You should all get some headphones - then you wouldnt have to listen to whatever they shout :lol::lol:

(then again it would spoil the fun when you catch them at the next set of lights) :wink:
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Pituophis wrote:
    IAfter about 30 seconds (meaning he had not actually seen me move) a car pulled up on the left of me (turning left- I was going straight on) and a smartly dressed, mid 20's ish young man calmly said "You really cannot ride a f***ing bike", to which I equally calmly replied "And you are a w**ker". The lights changed and off he drove.
    (

Perhaps he was a pro cyclist and was disgusted that you weren't track standing.

:shock: Maybe that was it!
  • SpainSte
    SpainSte Posts: 181
    On my way round one of my local routes I usually take a break at a lay-by which has a bench for a few minutes, in a very swanky area where some footballers and such have their summer houses. One day last summer I was sat there, having a drink and an Audi 4x4 (Q7??) cruises up the street, some tool shouts out the window "they go better when you get on an peddle" - to which I immediately shouted "f*** off!". Car pulls over and the driver gets out.....and its Eddy Jordan of BBC F1 fame!
  • markhewitt1978
    Did you fight him?
  • SpainSte
    SpainSte Posts: 181
    Hahaha no he's old and extremely small! Never really liked him on the telly but he was actually a decent bloke in real life!
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    SpainSte wrote:
    Hahaha no he's old and extremely small! Never really liked him on the telly but he was actually a decent bloke in real life!

So why did he get out of the car and what did he say to make you htink he's a decent bloke?
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    brownbosh wrote:
    My favourite was a second set of verbals after a 4km pursuit to a set of red lights
    " Im really sorry mister I meant nothing by it, sorry aaah sorry" I think he may have done a little wee too.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: love it that made me laugh...typical tho when they're put on the spot
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    SpainSte wrote:
    "they go better when you get on an peddle" - to which I immediately shouted "f*** off!". Car pulls over and the driver gets out.....and its Eddy Jordan of BBC F1 fame!

Well he was obviously wrong, as they go better when you pedal :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    My favourite was some chav lads shouting at me 'You should get a car'. They were sat waiting at a bus stop.......
    Faster than a tent.......