Tubeless rim advice

beefcake2
beefcake2 Posts: 157
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello

I have been running tubeless for a while using a stans conversion kit on som Alex rims. I would like to get a ust specific wheelset and have read that wider rims are better for wider tyres. I am using mountain king 2.2's at the moment and am really happy with them. I also need to take my weight into account (currently 17.5 stone but getting less). I don't jump or ride any sizeable drop offs but would like to as my skills get better. My question is what rims would be strong enough for my weight allowing for drop offs etc and would work with wider tyres? I have been looking on merlons website as. Have heard great things about their wheel builds but am not sure what rim to go for.

Thanks in advance

Beefcake2

Comments

• dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    Stan's Flow EX

Nothing more to it than that...
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    dhooper7 wrote:
    Stan's Flow EX

Nothing more to it than that...

+1

Got them on my build

Easy(ish) to set up tubeless and mega tough, a lot of downhillers use them
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I don't think that Stan's rims are UST are they?
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    PaulBox wrote:

They arent UST per say (UST is one particular tubeless standard) but they are designed to run tubeless, hence stans no tubes, and I have used mine fine tubeless with both standard tyres and UST tyres. Flow ex's are a good safe bet!
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    But the flows are a bit extreme for your riding. Arch ex would be more suitable
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    Arch ex's are rated up to about 100kg I think
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Fine
  • beefcake2
    beefcake2 Posts: 157
    Flow ex's are always getting good reviews from what I can see. On merlins website I can have these built on xt or hope hubs. I just upgraded my rotors and they are centrelock. Will the xt hubs be strong enough or should I go with hope hubs and replace the rotors?

Thanks again

Beefcake2
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    fizik wrote:
    PaulBox wrote:

They arent UST per say (UST is one particular tubeless standard) but they are designed to run tubeless, hence stans no tubes, and I have used mine fine tubeless with both standard tyres and UST tyres. Flow ex's are a good safe bet!

I know what they are, I was stating/questioning what they are not.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The only aftermarket UST rims are from Mavic, as it's basically their standard. It's used (as here) synonymously for "tubeless".

The Flow Ex is a big rim with the associated weight penalty. They are good, but they're designed for very aggressive riding.

XT hubs will be fine. Hope are lighter.