Boardman SLR/9.2S Di2 .. advice ..

santana007
santana007 Posts: 33
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys

im looking at getting a Di2 , i have a 4k budget .. I have looked at loads , i am wanting it for lands end to john o groats in 2015 ..

I have a chance of New Boardman SLR/9.2S Di2 for £2.459 .. That is 30% off .. leaving me with 1.5 k to maybe put some better wheels / seat on it etc .. i could sell the wheels and make the 1.5 k a tad more ..

Or i could go the route of a custom build ..

can i have some opinions please

Cheers

Rog

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Try it and see..
  • Best value Di2 is the Foil at Westbrooks for £1399
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    Cheapest Di2 Foil is £2499 unless I'm missing something on their site?
  • Westbrooks cycles still have Scott foil 15 Di2 for £1399
    Here is the link

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott- ... et-p237560
  • Cheers guys , I think the foil is - the wheels , so you can add £500 on that price .. Still liking the look of the boardman ..

Thanks for the input :D
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I have the exact bike you are looking at.

It is a superb bike and I bought mine after trying a few rivals. Whilst I wanted the back up of a full dealer network, it hasn't needed a single thing adjusting in 2,300 miles and 11 months.

The frame was originally designed for United Healthcare to race on. The frameset is mega stiff yet only 860g. Boardman have used some very clever FEA/CAD in the design and the result really is something special. Every watt of leg power goes into forward (and upward) motion, whether seated or standing. There is no flex at all. The big square downtube isn't very aero, but neither am I.

The frames are all the same construction (Toray 800 and 1000 carbon), from the 9.0 to the 9.8. The .X only determines the fittings spec.

I haven't changed my wheels and have been happy with the Elites. I may buy a set of 50mm carbons (I like the Campag Ultra Bullets) for the summer but am in no rush to change. For climbing and 3-4 hour club rides, the Elites are perfect.

Di2 is a dream to use. I have SRAM Force cogs on mine in a compact set up. This saves about 0.5kg over the Ultegra cog set option. The whole bike, with cages and Supersonic tubes, weighs exactly 6.8kg.

I paid full price for my bike and still think it was worth every penny. At £2.5k it's a steal.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Cheers for the reply , how comfy is the bike , would it suit a lands end john o groats ride , or is there another in the boardman range that would be better .. :D
  • Sat here thinking about the boardman , and not one shop has said we can provide a better bike for £2449 only we can give you this for 3.5 or 4k .. Then there bike at that price will be the price the boardman was before discount , so the bog standard set up for the price , whereas I can pimp the boardman with 1.6k I'll have left ..
    So really it is down to how good is the frame .. How can you tell ..
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    The frame is world class. It's within a few grams of my friend's Canyon SLX but is stiffer. It is as good as anything I have ridden costing twice the price.

Comfort will be down to fit. It is not a sportive/Sunday bimble frame like an Allez or similar. The longest I have spent on it was 7 hours and that was starting to ache, but only starting to. I was OK to do the same again the following day.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro