GXP Bottom Brackets and chainsets

russyh
russyh Posts: 1,375
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys,
My Scott CR1 currently has a GXP press fit bb, which to be honest has been fine despite the reviews and problems i read about on forums. However i would like to upgrade my chainset and wondered what i need to look for. Do i need another GXP chainset (which restricts me to SRAM) or can i buy a BB conversion adapter? If not will another BB30 style chainsets fit?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Your CR1 frame has a BB86 bottom bracket so you just replace your GXP BB86 cups with a set of BB86 cups that are suitable for the chainset you're buying. BB30 is a different standard to BB86 and they're not compatible.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You can fit a Rotor 30mm spindle crank to a BB86 frame, but regular BB30 won't fit due to the shorter spindle, leaving no room for the bearings. Latest GXP BBs have better sealing than the originals - they were awful and would barely last 6 months. What are you trying to achieve by a crankset upgrade? Few make any difference to how the bike rides.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    My Foil has a Shimano PF BB and at 7k miles of 4 season weather it's still going strong. It's the way to go if you want a Shimano or Rotor 3d chainset.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Thanks for the pointers guys, whilst there is no need to replace the cranks (I would like a slightly shorter crank length) so I thought it may be. Chance to upgrade and move away if possible.