Decent SPD shoes

snipsnap
snipsnap Posts: 259
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
I prefer to use SPDs and in need of some shoes as my Spesh tourers are getting very smelly!

Any decent SPD compatible shoes out there? I was looking at the Giro Privateer and the Mavic Rush, but both have what looks like an enormous sole due to being predominantly an MTB shoe.

Any other types to look out for?

Ta..............

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I use Shimano M088, a nice shoe. Shimano RT82 have almost flat soles.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    +1 for rt82 road shoe almosts, rigid sole 2 Velcro and one ratchet strap, don't look like MTB shoes
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    RTxxx shoes are very good in my experience.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Specialized touring shoes work for me.
  • solboy10 wrote:
    I have a pair of those. Squeaky suckers.
  • snipsnap
    snipsnap Posts: 259
    Thanks for replies.

Have a pair of Spesh touring shoes already and they've been great. Quite a bit of flex, which is understandable and perfect for commuting so I can walk around off the bike. Perhaps looking for something more road oriented for club rides then the Spesh can perform all commuting duties.

Favouring the Shimanos at present - the m88s or rt82s. Also considering Mavic cyclo tour shoes as can get them locally at a a very tempting price, but think I''ll just be replacing like with like.

No fiziks or Sidis that will take SPD without a hiking boot sole? ;-)
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    Sidi do offer some carbon soled MTB options with a less aggressive sole eg - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sidi ... -prod95659

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I have Sidi Dragon 3 and my GF has S-Works XC.

Both shoes are uber comfortable and as stiff as a kitchen table, thanks to carbon sole plates. Power transfer is perfect with no flex induced hot spots, even on hilly 5 hour rides.

You need to try a few on as the width sizing can vary dramatically between makes.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Has anyone used both the M088 and RT82? I have a set of M088 at the moment as that's what the shop had in, but did consider the RT82 and might yet once the ones I have are worn out.