Pannier Help!

nickponty
nickponty Posts: 61
edited March 2014 in Commuting general
Hello,

Am starting to cycle to work more often and getting tired of rucksack + sweaty back! I want to buy a pannier rack and bags but the fitting system is a bit bewildering!

My starting point is the Ortlieb Front Rolling City Bags: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-front-r ... -panniers/ which seem good quality and a good price.

So I then need a rack to fit them onto, my budget is limited and want something unobtrusive on my road bike so figured I'd go for this one: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-alloy- ... rear-rack/

But then I can't figure out what I need to do to attach the bag to the rack. Do I need to buy these QL1 hooks separately or will they come with the bag?! http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-ql1-hooks-with-handle/

Any advice gratefully received!

N

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    panniers come with hooks; the last link is for spares, if you've managed to break them. mine have been going for about 2 years now and they're still in one piece.

Rack wise, you may be better off with one that offers more side support, as I've had cheaper panniers on similar racks swing into the back wheel when lightly loaded.
  • nickponty
    nickponty Posts: 61
    Thanks very much. Would you recommend something like this instead: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-super-to ... rear-rack/
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Orleib come with the hooks and have good anti-sway features, they wont swing..
    the rack lacks free sections of tube, the spring obstructs rack mounting areas.
    Dont get adjustable legs, they are for the convenience of shops, not riders.
    try this rack
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    I had the ortlieb front rollers - they wont let you down. also had a topeak rack too - also pretty good.

But before you take the plunge check out the carradice saddlebags in case they are better suited. They come in various sizes big and small and I wouldn't go back to racks/panniers after discovering them. Use with the QR mount for easy fitting/removal. Do a search on here or google for more info if interested ;)
  • I had the ortlieb front rollers - they wont let you down. also had a topeak rack too - also pretty good.

But before you take the plunge check out the carradice saddlebags in case they are better suited. They come in various sizes big and small and I wouldn't go back to racks/panniers after discovering them. Use with the QR mount for easy fitting/removal. Do a search on here or google for more info if interested ;)

I'm after the same thing as OP. how much gear does the carradice saddlebag fit? could you get a towel, toiletries, pants, work shirt and a pack of nudie playing cards in there for instance?
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I've a carradice Nelson and it holds enough for Summer months but doesn't cut it for the Winter, with wet weather gear and extra clothes.

I've also found that the carradice bag has had to be returned a number of times to the manufacturer for straps falling off and the bottom is wearing out, so have had to fit a neoprene patch, acting as a sacrificial wear patch.

Mind you I've also had to fit wear patches to the Ortileb rollers as well though.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Juddlinski wrote:
    I had the ortlieb front rollers - they wont let you down. also had a topeak rack too - also pretty good.

I'm after the same thing as OP. how much gear does the carradice saddlebag fit? could you get a towel, toiletries, pants, work shirt and a pack of nudie playing cards in there for instance?

Yep - or he size up from mine will be fine

I got the Pendle I think which is 11lt...they come much bigger if need be.

I get all my tools/tube/pump etc in one side pocket, wallet etc etc in the other...and jeans/shirt/underwear and trainers if need be in main compartment - but not much room for much else with the trainers. As I say you might want the size up if you want to fit more. If ur in London condor have a good selection.

Mines been totally waterproof and problem free in the 18 months I've had it, they seem to be pretty rock solid from what I understand so I'm suprised by gbsahne's experience - maybe just unlucky?
  • Hello

I have the toppeak pannier bag MXT Truck bag and its great because the bag is on the top so its didnt effect my cycling and it simply locks in place.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    You could get one of these for more side support but not as much as the one you linked:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Tortec-Tour-Rear-Pannier-Rack_23931.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=CKj9wrq5ir0CFaQfwwoda7oAzg

I have one and its still going strong a couple of years in - would buy the same again.