Denizens of Kingston...

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
What chances your council will fuck this up when given £30m to play with?

http://road.cc/content/news/113286-enfi ... orest-get-£30m-each-become-mini-hollands

Given the abysmal mess they have made of the crossing at Wood Steet and Skerne Road, and the cross three lanes of traffic to the hidde cycle lane approach on Richmond Road then I worry somewhat......
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Absolutely guaranteed to make a sows ear out of a silk purse. I now get to the end of the Richmond Road bike path, dodge the pedestrians in front of the station then take to the 3 lanes of one way system rather than risk the bike path along Fife Road.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    About as likely as you faring up that link :wink:
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Not sure what they plan in Enfield. not sure even where they can do anything in Enfield. A10 anyone?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    You have to be kidding right. A dutch-style roundabout at Whipps Cross. I'd be surprised if more that 20-30 cyclists used the roundabout every day. Sounds like they're about to fug up part of my route. Oh the joy.
  • jzed
    A quick google and look what the planned dutch-style roundabout looks like

lea+bridge+southbound.png
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Mattsaw wrote:

I tried three bloody times (knowing some smart bum would pick it up, but that £ screwed me over).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Hoping for Cycle Superhighway around NW london. No luck..
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Asprilla wrote:
    Mattsaw wrote:

I tried three bloody times (knowing some smart bum would pick it up, but that £ screwed me over).
    Try this.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Jesus, Mary and Joseph, that's a dog's breakfast.
    JZed wrote:

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    JZed wrote:

I'll hold judgement until I see the implementation. Obviously it's for 'relaxed' cyclists. I would continue to take the roundabout, rather than the convoluted red line.
    Apparently there's also going to be 'highly' segregated cycle lanes along lea bridge road. Might be interesting, unless they put speed humps and chicanes in as per the new cycle route to stratford.
    I guess anything will be better than this https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.56609,-0.036419&spn=0.000007,0.006185&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.566141,-0.036297&panoid=RfRl8DoKQ48pE7NHfxUN5g&cbp=12,24.03,,0,11.69
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Is that red bit of pavement intended as some sort of "facility" or just to set the bollards nicely?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jds_1981
    rjsterry wrote:
    Is that red bit of pavement intended as some sort of "facility" or just to set the bollards nicely?

Facility of course. :evil:
    https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.56584,-0.03702&spn=0.000007,0.006185&t=m&layer=c&cbll=51.565785,-0.03715&panoid=XeFuTCLwtvQKrjmcvL3L2w&cbp=12,51.12,,0,17.21&z=18
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • No doubt they will, what I like is the fact the ballsed up front of the station will be dug up again! no doubt to cock it up again...

I have pointed out to Ed Davey that all the second largest cycling club in the country has to do is get each member to get 6 people to change thei vote and he's out looking for job. Given the expected slide of lib dem votes anyway this will be closer to one person per member.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    JZed wrote:

WTF? So using cycling infrastructure you'd have to make 8 road crossings rather than just taking the first exit from the roundabout?
  • jzed
    It just shows the problem with cycling infrastructure. There is a person sat in a council office who has gone "ooh bright idea - why not treat the bike like a pedestrian and get them off the road and onto the pavement, and bring them back a bit further down - yeah that works, it's segregated, they'll be safe". And then Boris "Oooh I like the term Dutch roundabout - pick that one, it can go on my CV along with my fall on fall off buses".

To me cycling infrastructure appears to be created by people who do not cycle.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    No doubt they will, what I like is the fact the ballsed up front of the station will be dug up again! no doubt to fool it up again...

I have pointed out to Ed Davey that all the second largest cycling club in the country has to do is get each member to get 6 people to change thei vote and he's out looking for job. Given the expected slide of lib dem votes anyway this will be closer to one person per member.

He is probably too arrogant to realise how MPs can be booted out. Susan Kramer was the same - showed a really arrogant attitude at a local meeting about secondary school provision in her constituency, word got around that she didn't care and she was out on her ear at the next election.
  • jds_1981
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981
    I think an elegant solution would be a flyover cycle bridge roundabout.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jzed
    I really don't think there's a problem with the roundabout to start with.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    No doubt they will, what I like is the fact the ballsed up front of the station will be dug up again! no doubt to fool it up again...

He is probably too arrogant to realise how MPs can be booted out. Susan Kramer was the same - showed a really arrogant attitude at a local meeting about secondary school provision in her constituency, word got around that she didn't care and she was out on her ear at the next election.

Wasn't impressed with SK's responses when they made a pig's ear of the resurfacing in RP a few years ago. And don't get me started on the schools situation... Really could do without the Lib Dems controlling the council after the next elections.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    There was a little story about this in a dutch nieuwspaper:
    http://www.telegraaf.nl/reiskrant/fiets ... nd___.html

Its short, dry and informational. The picture they used to illustrate it depresses me because it illustrates just how different experiences of cycling are in London and NL.