Disc brakes - what to replace mine with

mpatts
mpatts Posts: 1,010
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
My MTb knowledge is about 8 years out of date, so please bear with me....

I have Hayes 9's on my inbred. Yesterday the rear pistons jammed, and I can't budge them. It might be repairable, but I thought I'd ask you good folk what is available now, that is available at a decent price - my thinking is I might (if I can't repair them with a hammer and tongs) be better of buying a new set.
Insert bike here:

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    what's your budget? Shimano SLX is normally bang on in terms of performance vs budget. But even low und stuff like the M395 performs very well
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    Demo'd formula's, avid elixir 7's and shimano slx yesterday. Councur with the above sentiment, shimano all the way !
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    I would choose SLX over Deore to be honest.
    Had problems with the Deore and the SLX is not far off the XT in terms of spec and build.

I run XT btw. Love them
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    I have just put deore's (latest model) on mine, and they are a much welcomed improvement over the elixir 1's I had on before. About £70 for the pair, and really pleased with them
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    If the question is brakes, then the answer is Shimano.

Deore if budget is tight
    SLX for best bang for buck
    XT if you want to spend more

I'd go with the SLX. Just put some on my Duster. Best brakes I've used
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    They are pretty much the same I have read, just the slx is easier to adjust than the deores, and the xt has something extra that I can't remember what it is, but people say it's not needed lol
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    KevChallis wrote:
    xt has something extra that I can't remember what it is, but people say it's not needed lol

Free stroke adjustment. I would've gone for SLX, but at the time I bought my XTs, CRC were selling them cheaper than SLX (I paid £113 for the pair).
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    KevChallis wrote:
    just the slx is easier to adjust than the deores

Weight comes into it as well - Deore > SLX >XT > XTR.

The adjustment that you get with SLX is a thumbwheel adjuster for the reach: Deore have the same adjustment via a 3mm hex key, and it's one of those things you set when you get the bike/brakes and never touch again.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er