Ultegra Di2

valleyram
valleyram Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
New to this forum. I've just bought a new Cube Agree GTC SLT with Ultegra Di2. Just wondering if it's ok to keep the battery fitted whilst it's stored in my garage, or should I remove it between use?

Thanks

Comments

• schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    It would depend on how long you intend to store it for. Any longer than a few weeks and Shimano suggest that you remove the battery and fit the plastic cover, they also suggest making sure it's more than 50% charged as this will help the battery last longer.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Thanks for that
  • Coyote
    Coyote Posts: 212
    Had mine hanging in the garage for the last 5 months. Didn't take the battery off the bike, didn't check the charge level before I put it away, in fact didn't do anything to it. Took it out today, rode it for 60ish miles, no problem! :D
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yes - it's just a precaution to avoid running the battery stone dead from which point they rarely recover. It's a sensible precaution for the sake of doing it but not one I'd get too hung up about either.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    I thought rechargeable batteries lasted longer if they were run completely flat then given a full charge...?
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    Not lithium ion batteries, you can damage them if you run them flat
  • tc3nitro
    tc3nitro Posts: 82
    They also can become unstable at low voltage.
  • eddiefiola
    eddiefiola Posts: 344
    Coyote wrote:
    Had mine hanging in the garage for the last 5 months. Didn't take the battery off the bike, didn't check the charge level before I put it away, in fact didn't do anything to it. Took it out today, rode it for 60ish miles, no problem! :D

I had the exact opposite, stored the bike over Winter with the battery installed, went to use it in Jan and was dead as a doornail.
  • taimur
    taimur Posts: 173
    I have charged mine 3 times over the past 18 months. Admittedly it has spent most of past 4 months in the basement and showed 70% charge last week
    1996 Cannondale M500 CAAD3 (Hardtail MTB)
    2007 Cannondale F700 CAAD
    2010 Cube Agree SL (Road, retired)
    2011 Cube Litening Super HPC DI2 Frame, with Ultegra Di2 Components