Squeaking Freehub - Campag Record hub

drlodge
drlodge Posts: 4,826
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Was fettling wth my bike Saturday night, swapping the cassette over on my Campag Record hub equipped bike...and I noticed there was a squeaking as the wheel rotated. Removed the axle, its not the bearings...removed the freehub and the squeak is coming from the inner freehub "sleeve" as it rotates. Now I can't see a way to further disassmble the freehub so I tried a little oil on it. Did 55 miles and it seems to work fine, haven't checked if the squeaking is still there.

Any advice on maintaining these freehubs - does it need oil or grease, or is it just the way its built (may be some kind of seal is causing the squeak?)

The parktool website doesn't help much- servicing the freehub appears to consist of cleaning/regreasing the external parts. They mention the freehub has cartridge bearings, so wonder if there is a way to get at these?

hub13.jpg
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Yes, remove, wipe lube and refit... oil or grease, grease is probably best as it won't dilute the bearings grease, but don't use the nasty lithium one, just a normal runny grease
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    OK thanks Paolo. Probably an Easter holiday job then when I get a bit of time off.

I don't think its the cartridge beaings making the noise, must be a seal kind of thing. Just need some time, patience, and good light to look into this. Oh, and some "normal" grease.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava