KMC chains...

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
Which one do I want? 9 speed for the commuter but is the cheapest one ok?

Planning on replacing chain and cassette and would like a chain I can take off and give a good, deep clean to once in a while.
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Yes, I really like them. I just went with this one as I recall. I did end up buying split link pliers as it makes it a lot easier to get the chain apart. Buy a couple of spare split links, although I've never had to use one myself I have managed to get other people going again when they have broken chains. I'm sure that helps save up some good karma.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    edited March 2014
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Yes, I really like them. I just went with this one as I recall. I did end up buying split link pliers as it makes it a lot easier to get the chain apart. Buy a couple of spare split links, although I've never had to use one myself I have managed to get other people going again when they have broken chains. I'm sure that helps save up some good karma.

Lovely! Looks just about perfect. Will get some of the extra links too. Pliers are only a few quid too so can probably afford to move the whole bike collection over the KMC chains as they wear out.

Might treat the bike to a 9sp ultegra cassette as should last longer and am happy to stay 12-25 on the commuter.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I just fitted the X9-73 KMC chain to my Winter/commuter bike, with a quicklink thingy...just the job! I have the pliers to remove the quicklink, so much easier than trying to remove by hand.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ManiaMuse
    ManiaMuse Posts: 89
    Anyone have a problem with stiff links on KMC chains?

Put a new one on a couple of weeks ago after a quicklink broke on a Miche chain and the new chain is already skipping/hitching every 2-3 pedal rotations. Pretty sure it is the chain as it jumps down a cog on the back if I pedal it backwards.

Need to get the special quicklink tool as removing it seems to be impossible to remove without it.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Check that your RD is aligned properly, it might be the chain is skipping as the RD is not aligned/adjusted quite right.

I like to check this with the chain removed, then move the top jockey wheel onto the cassette - it should touch/aligh the cog is supposed to be on perfectly. Try this on the big/small and middle cogs just to make sure its being positioned precisely where it should be.

It could also be that your cassette is worn.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    not had probs with stiff KMC links or with unhooking the split links. They are easier to unhook than SRAM powerlinks but the technique is the same, you shouldn't need pliers. Just push the links towards each other then slide apart, once you get the knack it's a doddle.

On the subject of the chains, they seem pretty good to me. hard to judge durability but it seems on par with SRAM and shimano from my experience. I've given up buying fancy chains for commuting, just keep them well lubed and ditch them when they get worn out
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    jomoj wrote:
    not had probs with stiff KMC links or with unhooking the split links. They are easier to unhook than SRAM powerlinks but the technique is the same, you shouldn't need pliers. Just push the links towards each other then slide apart, once you get the knack it's a doddle.

On the subject of the chains, they seem pretty good to me. hard to judge durability but it seems on par with SRAM and shimano from my experience. I've given up buying fancy chains for commuting, just keep them well lubed and ditch them when they get worn out
    Shimano do not make chains, they are surprisingly made by KMC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KMC_Chain_Industrial
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    I did not know that. Cheers.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    freezing77 wrote:
    jomoj wrote:

Shimano do not make chains, they are surprisingly made by KMC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KMC_Chain_Industrial

And that article lists Shimano under 'Other Notable Chain Manufacturers'......
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    ManiaMuse wrote:
    Anyone have a problem with stiff links on KMC chains?
    Yes - but as it was on the turbo it was easy to diagnose as the Q-Link that was stiff - a bit of drylube and manipulation soon sorted it out and it behaved for the long ride on Saturday ...

You don't need the quicklink tool - 2 pairs of pliers is all I use ...