Given you're a bunch of rabid foodists...

MonkeyMonster
MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
Mandolin's. Have used the oxo one which is fairly sturdy and dependable. Any others in the c.20-30 squid range that are just *that* much better?
Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    ****Wince***

:? :?

No idea,

I wouldnt touch one with your fing.... opps there it goes....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Whilst you wait for ITB to rhapsodise about some artisanal gopher-wood and titanium mandolin, I'd have thought the OXO one is fine. Personally, I either use a sharp knife or if there's a lot to be done, a chopping disk in the food processor.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Food processor option isn't poss - not having one :D Seems indeed it is with even more review hunting. Now garlic presses... ;)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I have a garlic press that mst be 30 years old,

It came from my mums house when she passed. It is fantastic.

HTH
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    The problem with a lot of these gadgets is that they perform brilliantly but are a pain to clean. Unless I'm doing juliennes or something wafer thin, the mandolin stays in the cupboard and I use a knife.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    First question in our house is "is it dishwasher safe?", especially with something as potentially finger-lacerating as a mandolin. Don't want that lurking under some washing-up bubbles.

How then, have we ended up with a non-dishwasher safe garlic press? How?! <shakes fist at sky>
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition