Specialized Allez with Shimano upgrades

PerformingMonkey
PerformingMonkey Posts: 218
edited March 2017 in Your road bikes
I've had this bike in its stock spec for a couple of years and it has served me pretty well. Completed a few century rides, been on some great day rides with mates and placed well in a couple of triathlons with it. However I fancied treating it to a few upgrades in the form of a new groupset and wheels. I did all the work with the help of a friend. First ride was a quick blast along the coast with my neighbour who I am helping build up for some longer rides this year. Always been sceptical about people who talk about wheel flex but the RS81s are certainly snappy, rigid rims. I am also equally impressed with the performance of the 105 groupset, shifting is immediate (prefer the double lever set up on the 105 to the thumb shifting 2300) and I am certainly going to have to toughen up on the climbs with the new standard gearing ratio. Sad to lose my Charge Spoon (white and orange) for the moment, but may put a black ti railed version on my birthday list.

7hcMMS0.jpg

Frame: 2012 Allex Aluminium
Forks: 2012 FACT Carbon
Bars: Specialized Tarmac
Stem: Specialized Alloy
Headset: Standard spec
Bar Tape: Silva Original Handlebar Tape Carbon

Front Brake Lever: Shimano 105
Front Caliper: Shimano 105
Rear Brake Lever: Shimano 105
Rear Caliper: Shimano 105

Shifters: Shimano 105
Cables: Shimnao 105
Front Mech: Shimano 105
Rear Mech: Shimano 105

Seat: Specialized Riva - Had to remove the Charge Spoon as it didn't fit the new colour scheme
Seat Post: Specialized Alloy
Seat Post Clamp: Stock alloy

Cranks: Shimano 105
Chainring(s): Shimano 105 standard 53/39
Chain: Shimano 105 10 speed
Cassette: Shimano 10 speed 28/11
Pedals: Shimano R540 SPD-SL
Bottom Bracket: Shimano 105

Front Wheel: Shimano RS81 50mm
Tire: Michelin Pro4 Endurance Folding Road Tyre Red 700x23c

Back Wheel: Shimano RS81 50mm
Tire: Michelin Pro4 Endurance Folding Road Tyre Red 700x23c

Comments

• Nice, real smart
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Red tyres seem a bit random. Why did you change to 53/39?
  • Imposter wrote:
    Red tyres seem a bit random. Why did you change to 53/39?

Tyres were just a personal preference thing, I didn't want to go down the all black route. You are the second person to mention it though so maybe when the time comes I'll look at an alternative.

In regards to switching to 53/39, I live on the South coast and even on the South Downs I wasn't finding many hills that were really requiring the smaller front ring on the compact. I also race the bike in triathlons and wanted a higher top gear as the courses again tend to be fairly flat.

I'm racing it on Sunday so will see if I have made the right choice!
  • 29black
    29black Posts: 24
    Looks smart, ignore what the others said about the red - If you like it then that's the only opinion that matters!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    In regards to switching to 53/39, I live on the South coast and even on the South Downs I wasn't finding many hills that were really requiring the smaller front ring on the compact.
    I can take you to a couple of climbs that are steep enough to want a compact - 13% and a 17% - but they're so far apart, short enough and you hit them so infrequently that a 53/39 is absolutely fine. I ride them on 39-27 gear (or 39-26 on my winter bike). Plus - I've found that I'm as quick, if not quicker up normal hills with the harder gearing - probably cos I'm a lazy git and tend to gear down to the easiest gear then grind ... ;)

Nice setup btw - I need to do similar with my Allez.
  • Slowbike wrote:
    I can take you to a couple of climbs that are steep enough to want a compact - 13% and a 17% - but they're so far apart, short enough and you hit them so infrequently that a 53/39 is absolutely fine. I ride them on 39-27 gear (or 39-26 on my winter bike). Plus - I've found that I'm as quick, if not quicker up normal hills with the harder gearing - probably cos I'm a lazy git and tend to gear down to the easiest gear then grind ... ;)

Don't get me wrong I know there are a few of them dotted around, will seek some out as a test on my next long ride.
  • Really like it. I think the Allez is just a great bike. My one mainly sits on the turbo now, although my son just fits it so it's now his really.

My dad has one that he has done a few bits on, like planet x al30 wheels, prolite stem, etc.
    Allez 16 - bad weather / turbo trainer
    Tarmac Expert SL3 - test colours
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    I love my Allez, your colour scheme is awesome though mines red so it clashes a bit. Great job
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • First race on the new set up (Sprint Duathlon) and very happy. I'd dropped the stem to just a 10mm spacer for the event and was more than happy with the ride position this gave. This left a 60mm+ stack of spacers above the stem so I got the saw out last night and copped the streerer tube down.

iY8KjYo.jpg
  • ongej
    ongej Posts: 118
    Nice bike! Where did you get the replacement for the original tall cone spacer above the headset? I have an allez too and would like to replace the original cone spacer with something much shorter.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    very nice...
  • ongej wrote:
    Nice bike! Where did you get the replacement for the original tall cone spacer above the headset? I have an allez too and would like to replace the original cone spacer with something much shorter.

Shop around on eBay and look for any conical spacers with the desired stack height and finish. The external diameter required is 45mm, and while it's unlikely you'll find one that gives you a completely flush fit with the headtube, it's no problem and not noticeable. Searching for 'headset cone spacer' or 'headset conical spacer' will show you most of the options. There are plenty of carbon ones available with a stack of between 5mm - 10mm.

The problem with these conical spacers is that they differ from the design of the original Allez Tange Seiki ones. They lack the internal 1 1/8 compression spacer as is present in the stock cone, so using an alternative on its own will not preload the bearings properly. In short, tightening the top cap will push the cone onto the frame before the upper bearing is pushed into the headtube.

To remedy this you need to place standard 1 1/8 spacers (the ones you would normally use above and below your stem) inside the conical spacer.

I use a cone spacer with an 8.5mm stack. After a fair amount of tries I ended up needing 3.8mm of spacers inside that, a standard 3mm spacer and two 0.4mm micro-spacers or headset 'shims'. These are a bit harder to track down online but most bike shops should have them kicking about, otherwise try here: http://www.bicyclehero.com/gb/canecreek ... y7EjK1_sf8.
  • Getting a lot of mileage out of the bike at the moment and still loving it. Took my Dad over to the IoW to do the Round the Island route a couple of weekends ago. Descending one of the hills I hit a big bit of flint and punctured both tyres. Managed to actually tear a hole in both of my tyres, bit shocked as these tyres have proved bombproof so far. Managed to limp round the last 25miles avoiding every patch of gravel.

So the bike has been treated to two new tyres (Michelin Pro4 Endurance Folding Road Tyre Grey 700x23c, some new grip tape (Fizik Superlight Handlebar Tape with Logo - I just couldn't get on with the super thin Silva tape) and one new bottle cage (Specialized Rib Cage) after the previous one had begun to work loose around the bolts.

I'm liking the darker tyres.

All running smoothly still and completed the Wiggle Mega Meon sportive (Epic) in under 6hrs.

aYHQ1pd.jpg
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    That looks great. I have the same bike (same colour scheme too!) and wish mine looked half as good as this!

105 is the group I want to upgrade to as well, especially since it's available at quite a big discount with 5800 coming out later this year. If you had to chose one, would you upgrade the wheels or the groupset?
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Nice job. I'm biased obviously but that looks really nice.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Bluemoon17 wrote:
    That looks great. I have the same bike (same colour scheme too!) and wish mine looked half as good as this!

105 is the group I want to upgrade to as well, especially since it's available at quite a big discount with 5800 coming out later this year. If you had to chose one, would you upgrade the wheels or the groupset?

Wheels and just a new cassette made a massive difference to the weight of the bike...
  • Nice work on the Allez. Have exactly the same model myself and looking upgrade to a smoother, more reliable 105 5800 set in the coming months.
  • I was getting a bit worried about the wear and potential damage I would get on my RS81's over the winter. On recent rides I'm getting more and more grit thrown up onto the bike and into the drive train and on the braking surfaces. Unfortunately I can't afford these to be damaged ready for triathlons etc next year. While I was getting the bike ready for the South Downs 100 this weekend (last ride out with my RS81's) I thought I'd chuck the R501's (I know they have R500 stickers) to see what they look like. I'm not unhappy with how they look. Proof will be when I can get out and ride them to see if I've picked up a bargain (£72) or fallen for "buy cheap, buy twice".

I've stuck a 105 5700 cassette (11-28 so may need to play with the indexing) and a set of Michelin Pro4 Endurance (as usual) on them.

X73Bb6V.jpg
  • Markjaspi
    Markjaspi Posts: 729
    Looks good, I used to have an Allez, great bikes.

Wise choice with the winter wheels, I've just thrown some Fulcrum Quatros on mine to save the good ones.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • Just completed the upgrade to my Allez 2015. All new Shimano 105 5800 series groupset and an unused set of Fulcrum S-4 from someone else's take off. Great upgrade to shifting and braking and weight improvement with the wheels.
  • meemik10
    meemik10 Posts: 10
    Liking the red tyres. I had the same on my Allez around 8 years ago or so when they came on the bike (frame was red as well).
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    First race on the new set up (Sprint Duathlon) and very happy. I'd dropped the stem to just a 10mm spacer for the event and was more than happy with the ride position this gave. This left a 60mm+ stack of spacers above the stem so I got the saw out last night and copped the streerer tube down.

iY8KjYo.jpg

Get rid of the spacer above the stem and that will rock.

Getting of the spacer will also add 2mph more top end.

Remember to smash both the spacer and the cut off steerer with a hammer and throw into next door's garden.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.