Why buy garmin 500?

focuz
focuz Posts: 150
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Have a normal cateye at the moment, wondered if the £130 is worth spending. Persuade me ;) or not

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,643
    You can then use Garmin Connect and/or Strava.
  • Cadence and programmable display
  • Gethinceri wrote:
    You can then use Garmin Connect and/or Strava.

+1
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    you can upload it with training programs with intervals and set alerts for cadence, speed, HR, time, distance as well as use it as a conventional GPS cycle computer.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    It's a way of logging all the details of all your rides with minimal effort. Even if you don't care about the performance data, it's nice to be able to review routes and keep track of your riding.

Unless you want cadence and HR though, just get the 200.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    so Strava can change your life. :wink:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I purchased a 500 last Feb and before that I used a Cateye and the Cyclemeter on my iphone.
    The Garmin is slightly better because you've got everything in one little box but the results are near on identical, I've got cadence but I never use that but the heart rate is useful.
    It's nice bit of kit but its not the be all and end all.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Only slightly better for being in one little box on your stem?
    Thats not how I see it but each to their own.

As for getting the 200, can you set courses and have virtual partner on that?
    If not I would not bother with it.

To the OP, just stick to what you have. What you don't have you won't miss ;-)

I have mine, would miss it and TBH really don't care if people think its better to use a Cateye and/or a mobile and you remain unconvinced to get one.
  • taimur
    taimur Posts: 173
    At 130 i am guessing you are looking at the garmin 500 plain bundle, no HRM or cadence pack...?
    Cateye Stealth 50 which boasts the same features is priced at 89. for 30 more than the Garmin 500 you can add the ANT+ HRM and Speed+Cadence.
    Question is does the Stealth 50 perform just as well as the Garmin?
    1996 Cannondale M500 CAAD3 (Hardtail MTB)
    2007 Cannondale F700 CAAD
    2010 Cube Agree SL (Road, retired)
    2011 Cube Litening Super HPC DI2 Frame, with Ultegra Di2 Components
  • caedev
    caedev Posts: 81
    If you get one with ant+ speed sensor you can use it with apps like Trainer Road on PC or Turbo Power on Android.