How do I put the back wheel on my 3 speed bike?

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited March 2014 in The workshop
This is a 20" hub geared folding folding bike of some vintage (it's a 3 speed Universal with a hub gear of unknown provenance). I took the back wheel off to check the bearings, now I can't work out how to reassemble it.

2014-03-09%2012.52.02.jpg

The pin goes into the hollow axle and is somehow responsible for gear shifts.

The lever was unscrewed to get the wheel off, only I can't see how it could work

2014-03-09%2012.52.32.jpg

The rod A is driven backwards and forwards by the shifter cable parallel to the chainstay. This has the effect of exerting a torque on the hub (which is bolted to the frame and cannot move). However the pin B is an axis for the lever which ought to push the pin into and out of the hollow axle, which is how I presume the shifting occurs. Because the arm between the rod and the pin is bent through 90 degrees this force can't be exerted. Surely I didn't bend it in disassembly? (It's a solid construction). Am I missing something obvious?

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    is the rod part on the axle supposed to be 90 degrees to the right so it will move when the cable is pulled?
    how does it attach to the axle?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    don't suppose you took a photo of it before you took it apart?

loks liek it would be a better "line" if that gear housing (bottom right of photo 2) rotates 90 degrees clockwise
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem