Chain Device for XC Racing

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
As above, which one comes recommended? Reasonable price - not paying £80+ for seat tube mounted ones!

I'm running 1x9 (32t narrow-wide, not clutch mech), lost 4 places today right before the finish line because the chain dropped so I want to stop it happening again. A lot of people seem to be having problems, even with clutch mechs, but I love the simple gearing and the simplicity! Are the chain guides noisy?! Seen the following ... think the E13 seems the best bet:

E13
M-part
MRP

Thanks!

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I had an E.13 XCX ST (the seat tube one), and it was brilliant, just worked. Silent, never lost the chain. If the BB mount one is as good you'll be fine!
  • Greer_
    We've had this conversation before! Haha seems like a good bet!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Got the BB mounted XCX and the superstar version of the M-parts guide. The XCX is by far the better guard, it's quiet, easy to set up and I've never dropped a chain. The Superstar/M-part guide is pants. it's noisy, impossible to set up with out it rubbing something and the back plate flexes like hell. Sure the E-13 is twice the price, but it's a far, far superior product.
  • Greer_
    What's the difference between the MPart and the xcx that makes it so bad?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The M-part/Superstar is just cheaply made and the guide itself is very basic. The hardware is woeful, and side by side it just looks cheap and nasty. Imo it's no where near as well designed as the XCX, which uses the same upper guide as the LG1+, so it's a proven design that works very well. Imo E-13 make the best guides out there, both of the ones I've used, the Lg1 and XCX, have been faultless.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited March 2014
    Inner and outer guide rings is another option (and what I have) gives you an upper and lower element, my solution weighs 119g over and above my single chainring (CF inner, outer is a Gamut ally bash), another option is an outer only and an N-gear jump stop which is a little lighter but looses the lower guide element effect.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Everything is just a little more flexy on the M:Part/Superstar guides, which isn't desirable for chain retention!
  • Greer_
    Thanks guys, thats it ordered! I can see a few guys in the club closely following behind just for an extra bit of security! We had a few horribly muddy series of races a few week ago where everyone with a single ring clogged up and knocked the chain off, but we're back into the proper racing now!