Tiagra 4600 hub with 9 speed cassette - help needed.

jonifen
jonifen Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in The workshop
Hi,
I bought a new rear wheel today from Evans to replace the stock one which now has my turbo tyre on (and I'd sooner change wheels than tyres given the time it took me to fit the turbo tyre!)

Anyway, the wheel I bought has a Tiagra FH-4600 hub and I got a new Shimano HG-61 (or so the box says) 9 speed cassette at the same time, but I've just put my tyre and cassette on and now I find out I could do with a spacer as it just doesn't fit. I can't seem to measure the gap, I'd guess at about 3mm, but was wondering if anyone has any advice on:
* How do I know how big the spacer needs to be?
* I've looked around online and found there are spacers to be bought, but can't find them on Evans or the local bike shops websites. Is it that rare a requirement?
* Am I trying to get something to work that just won't?

I forgot to get rim tape at the same time (my fault, it slipped my mind), so I picked some up from the Leisure Lakes store nearby (as I didn't fancy tackling the traffic near the Etihad stadium to go back to Evans!) but I had no idea I'd need a spacer.

I had bought it in preparation to ride to work tomorrow, but that's out the window now as I don't fancy swapping tyres (turbo/road) over tonight - it took me about an hour to get the turbo tyre fitted in the first place.

Other info if needed:
It'll be going on a Trek 7.5fx 2012 hybrid which has a compact FSA Vero chainset and a deore rear derailleur.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jon

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Take a picture. You should not require any additional spacers to fit a 9 speed cassette to a Tiagra hub.
  • jonifen
    Hi MajorMantra,
    Thanks for replying. I've just got the cassette out of the box again to refit and take a photo and realised that it's actually an 8 speed HG50. Although it's definitely inside a 9 speed HG61 box with HG61 instructions. I'm going to have to take it back to the shop tomorrow to get it replaced. Not impressed.
    I feel slightly daft having not noticed this sooner before I wasted your time. Sorry about that :(

Thanks again,
    Jon
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As 8 and 9 spd cassettes are the same width it should still fit fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    7 speed cassette?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jonifen
    nicklouse wrote:
    As 8 and 9 spd cassettes are the same width it should still fit fine.
    Thanks for the response nicklouse. You're absolutely right. I had forgotten about this (I replaced an 8 speed cassette on my old mountain bike with a 9 speed and it was a straight swap. This one definitely didn't fit though.
    The Rookie wrote:
    7 speed cassette?
    Thanks for the response The Rookie, that would have made sense, but it had 8 cogs in the set, so it definitely wasn't a 7 speed.

Anyway, I took the cassette back to the store yesterday evening and the guy I spoke to checked it and said it was a 9 speed but it looked like one of the cogs were missing somehow (which I suppose explains why it was rattling around like it needed a spacer or something. Anyway, to cut a potentially long story short, he replaced it (with a 11-32 as he had no more 11-34s in stock) and fitted the replacement to the wheel for me.