Rear derailleur hanger

raymondliu
raymondliu Posts: 56
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Just wanted to ask if there was anything I needed to watch out for in the different types apart from aesthetic differences.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,181
    just make sure it's the correct one for the frame!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungod wrote:

I just presumed they are pretty much cross compatible?
  • raymondliu wrote:
    sungod wrote:

Quite the contrary they are pretty much frame specific.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    raymondliu wrote:
    sungod wrote:

Ummmmm. No.

wallchart2013_600px.jpg

And that's just some of them. :wink:
  • I've seen listings showing 30 odd options on eBay but just thought that there must be a lot of cross compatibility seeing as at face value there are a few designs there that must have similar dimensions but just differing curvatures. Is there in fact then very little cross compatibility?
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    How many ways shall we say it?

You can sometimes adapt a hanger that is almost, but not quite the right one. As a general rule though, you should either source a)a manufacturers original (from a dealer of your bike's brand) or b)a good quality third party one, like the Wheels Mfg ones above or BETD.

There are subtle differences in shape, bolt configuration etc. between hangers that will not be apparent until you offer them up to the frame. Do not assume that something which is roughly the right shape will fit.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You need the right one. The only bit that is the same on all of them is the hole your mech screws into (and even that is a rare M10 fine thread).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}