Deore M615 problem

VolatileMike
VolatileMike Posts: 78
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
So I bought some of these new. I did a few things wrong:

a) started it late, not leaving much time.

b) cluttered workspace/couldn't find tools

Anyway despite this I followed this guide:
http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/blog/ ... -bleeding/

I thought it was going well until the final stages when told to press the brake lever multiple times, and then brake fluid leaked out of the lever connection...I looked at it and the olive had not contacted properly and was a bit mangled.

So, do I need to bleed this brake? or can I just trim hose a little with new olive and end then refit?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As most people need to bleed the brakes went they try to do anything that does not "need" bleeding you might still be ok but I would think not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    If fluid got out, then it's likely that air got drawn into the system to replace it when the lever pressure was released, so yes, you may well need to bleed the brake after you've finally sorted the connection.
  • Guess I will need a bleed kit then. Has anyone used the one on this site? http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/produ ... plete-kit/
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes, and I won't use anything else - cheap and work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ordered. Lets see how this goes!
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    Guess I will need a bleed kit then. Has anyone used the one on this site? http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/produ ... plete-kit/

I ordered one on Thursday, should he here today. I didn't want to take the risk shortening mine last week as I knew I was riding yesterday.
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • So an update on this

I got them fitted, they are squealing like hell though. Like a train coming.

Do I need to sand the pads a bit?
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    So an update on this

I'd hazard a guess that they need bedding in.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    So an update on this

are they stopping you but just squealing? are they the OE resin pads?
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Bed them in, failing that, centre them.

Different ways of centreing them. You could loosen the caliper bolts (bolts that hold brake caliper onto forks/frame), and then visually align the caliper so that you've got a bit of space on both sides of the rotor.

The proper way is to loosen the caliper bolts, pull the brake lever at handlebar (so the pads close around the rotor), then whilst still holding the brake lever - retighten the bolts.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    are your existing disks clean they may have residue on from when youve cleaned your bike try giving them a wipe with white spirits .
    Always worth getting a bleed kit and doing it yourself ,once youve done it you realise how easy it is to do and saves you taking it to a shop.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • POAH wrote:
    are they stopping you but just squealing? are they the OE resin pads?

Yep they do stop, and yes OE pads.
    Bed them in, failing that, centre them.

Different ways of centreing them. You could loosen the caliper bolts (bolts that hold brake caliper onto forks/frame), and then visually align the caliper so that you've got a bit of space on both sides of the rotor.

The proper way is to loosen the caliper bolts, pull the brake lever at handlebar (so the pads close around the rotor), then whilst still holding the brake lever - retighten the bolts.

They probably do need bedding in I imagine, will try that also as they are faintly rubbing.
    tarbot18 wrote:
    are your existing disks clean they may have residue on from when youve cleaned your bike try giving them a wipe with white spirits .
    Always worth getting a bleed kit and doing it yourself ,once youve done it you realize how easy it is to do and saves you taking it to a shop.

I did bleed them myself, for the first time :oops:

thought I made a mess of it, but the brake levers dont seem spongey so think its all good. I thought I could have contaminated the pads but I guess if they were contaminated the brakes wouldn't stop?