37 days

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited March 2014 in The cake stop
Did anyone else watch this excellent three part docu-drama?

All dialogue but very informative and entertaining. I watched it and it enlightened me no end as to why/how the killing of arch duke Franz Ferdinand precipitated the onset of WW1.

Great stuff, IMHO.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,636
    Had a few issues with it.

Wasn't all that historically accurate for boring reasons.

Characters were very two dimensional and almost pure caricatures.

Made the entire outbreak of war far far too UK centric.

You've got Germany and Austria discussing the UK despite the fact they've barely mentioned Russia and actually not mentioned France!
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    As my OP suggests I'm not the most informed upon the first war. This did however shine a light on things. No big surprise it was "UK centric" given it was made by the BBC.

Events were probably dumbed down for artistic reasons and also for the benefit of the likes of myself.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,636
    Sure, but do they want to dramatise the causes of ww1, or not? You can't just ignore France in all of that, for obvious reasons.

To explain stuff you should make it as simple as possible, but without compromising integrity. It's not difficult, anyone can understand it.

Seperately, from a TV point of view, I didn't like the two first person narrators. Didn't really need it and was a convoluted solution to bad writing.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I thought it was absolutely brilliant. I even made it Mikey's choice on BB... Probably too highbrow for the plebs over there as there weren't any norks in it :-)
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Really looking fwd to this but found it boring, which is odd because I like history esp that era, not watched it since.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    A simple explanation of WW1
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    A simple explanation of WW1

That's brilliant :D
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • Mikey23