Continental tyre combo

marcg868
marcg868 Posts: 116
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
What the best combo for general xc on a 100mm hardtail looking for Grippy front and fast rolling rear for mostly all year. Tried Rubber queen none black chilli front and rear and their fast rolling bit my front let go on damp leaves and scared me a bit.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Non black chilli contis are horrible. The bc rubber queens are extremely good and reasonably light.
    Why does it have to be continentals?
  • marcg868
    On maxxis advantage currently and I find them really draggy on anything but hard dusty gravel even inflated to a higher psiand 70a on the rear
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Specialized ground control are decent tyre, the s works version is light but the sidewalls are a bit thin though, I haven't used them tubeless.

A lot of people like schwalbe nobby nics as an all rounder tyre, I'm using one on front of my bike with a racing Ralph rear tyre
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    I would say either a Maxxis Advantage or Ardent up front and a crossmark out back.
  • marcg868
    I'm happy with the advantage up front so a crossmark sounds good. Is its wet weather performance ok?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    marcg868 wrote:
    I'm happy with the advantage up front so a crossmark sounds good. Is its wet weather performance ok?

There is nothing worse in the wet than crossmarks.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Why not just invest in a Black Chilli Rubber Queen for the front for the extra grip, but keep the harder compound ones for the rear? RQ seems to be about as "all year round" as any tyre you could pick.
  • Went from awful non chilli mountain king to bontrager xr4 team issue . Stayed on all year total confidence in them .
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    Crossmarks are not particularly good in the wet and do not like roots, I would never want one on the front, but out back they are fine. If you were concerned about that then id say ardent on the rear instead, but not quite as fast rolling. Crossmarks have a high volume, the 2.25's seem taller than my 2.25 ardent or advantage, both of which are also known for being big for their size.