Newbie with questions!

Kelius
Kelius Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
Hi all, been lurking for a while and looking to get into the sport as a hobby and to get fit.

Just saved up a small amount of cash to buy my first RB, and have spotted one I'm interested in, but cannot find any info on it online, so wondering if anyone could advise on what the particular bike is like.

It's a Peugeot Competition 600, all I know is that it is around 15 years old (I have a very limited budget to get a bike, not willing to spend too much just in case I decide the hobby is not for me!) I am finding my options to be very limited as i am a 5"0 female who needs a tiny bike!

Anyone got any experience with this bike?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's a very old bike. Things have moved on in 15 years. You might find a lot of the parts are worn out.

Comfort is paramount on a bike - how can you be sure this bike fits you ?

You don't know anyone who could lend you a bike to try out ? Cycling is getting awfully popular so it must be pretty enjoyable ;-)
  • Kelius
    I'm going to go and look at the bike tomorrow, to make sure it fits, hopefully the guy will let me take it round the block if I leave the other half and his Audi as a security deposit!

I am concerned that it's so old, but budget does not stretch very far at all so I'm somewhat restricted. I'd rather try my hand at getting a bargain than end up buying a viking for £169!
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,528
    If you're not allowed to ride it don't buy it.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Kelius wrote:
    I'm going to go and look at the bike tomorrow, to make sure it fits, hopefully the guy will let me take it round the block if I leave the other half and his Audi as a security deposit!

I am concerned that it's so old, but budget does not stretch very far at all so I'm somewhat restricted. I'd rather try my hand at getting a bargain than end up buying a viking for £169!
    If you are looking to spend even less than £169, I think you will be very lucky to get a bike that is any good.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Peugeot Competition 600 or £169 Viking, also known as rock and a hard place.

Are you in the UK?

I would leave the Peugeot in the museum and save up for a Triban 3.
    They come with smaller wheels in the small frame sizes and have indexed gears right where your hand is rather than un indexed on the down tube.

Sounds like the bike is going to be too big (is the seller 5' tall?) and you are not going to enjoy either:
    a/struggling to change gear while steering with one hand or
    b/ cycling along in the wrong gear because its too difficult to change gear.

What gears would this even have? Standard double with 5 speed cassette?
    What would the cassette be? 13-17?

I think this thread is a wind up, but if not you need to either spend more or find a real bargain.
    Is getting a new boyfriend an option?

If you spend more there is a much greater chance you will enjoy cycling, and if not then resale might still leave you better off than the Peugeot/Viking route.

Can you not just find a used Triban 3 in your size?
  • Kelius
    I can assure you this isn't a wind up! I'm just trying to dip my toe in without breaking the bank or going the finance route.
    As I said, I was concerned that maybe the Peugeot would be too ancient, but I would like to go and see it before I bid on it. Ideally yes, I would like to have a bigger budget for a better bike but without going into depth about my financial situation, right now it's not an option I have. So that's why I asked for an opinion on here. I understand I may be in for a bit of a wait, but I am prepared to wait if necessary.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Kelius wrote:
    I can assure you this isn't a wind up! I'm just trying to dip my toe in without breaking the bank or going the finance route.
    As I said, I was concerned that maybe the Peugeot would be too ancient, but I would like to go and see it before I bid on it. Ideally yes, I would like to have a bigger budget for a better bike but without going into depth about my financial situation, right now it's not an option I have. So that's why I asked for an opinion on here. I understand I may be in for a bit of a wait, but I am prepared to wait if necessary.
    You'll probably have to spend a fair amount doing the bike up after you buy it to make it roadworthy, so unlikely you will spend less than £169 overall.
  • Anonymous
    Well all the best in finding something :wink:

Peugeot seems a nightmare though. How do you feel about changing gears manually (assuming they are not indexed) on the down tube, and having very high gearing?
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Peugeot seems a nightmare though. How do you feel about changing gears manually (assuming they are not indexed) on the down tube, and having very high gearing?

I find it fine although I have never tried riding a bike that has STI & compact gearing to compare the two.
  • Anonymous
    Moonbiker wrote:

I find it fine although I have never tried riding a bike that has STI & compact gearing to compare the two.

Guessing its pretty similar to down tube shifting bikes I had as a kid so yes, it should be fine if you know no different.

Just sounds like unnecessarily hard work and will possibly mean the OP will not enjoy it and be put off cycling.

I did not mean that the Peugeot was a nightmare because of the gears, it was more if it was not in great condition and needed work doing, but possibly being too big and having hard work gearing just adds to that.
  • Kelius
    The guy says it has gears integrated into brake levers, and although I don't know much about road bikes, from pics it looks like it's had a bit of work done to it. It was used by a 5'3 adult, the chap is aware I'm 5'0 and thinks there will be room for adjustment.
  • Anonymous
    Oh ok, not like ones I googled then.

Might be fantastic, hope it is and you enjoy cycling :wink: