New rear shock sizing

declan1
declan1 Posts: 2,470
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello!

I'm looking to upgrade my rear shock to a Monarch R and I have a couple of questions:

My current shock is 165x35mm - the Monarch is 165x38mm. Is the 3mm difference in stroke length too much?

Also, does anyone know if new shocks come with bushings pre-fitted?

Thanks!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Shocks come with bushes fitted. But you will need to get the correct reduces/fitting kit.

3mm will be multiplied by the suspension ratio which could allow linkage or wheel to come into contact with something.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • declan1
    nicklouse wrote:
    Shocks come with bushes fitted. But you will need to get the correct reduces/fitting kit.

3mm will be multiplied by the suspension ratio which could allow linkage or wheel to come into contact with something.

That's good to know - CRC do the mount kits for £8 each so that's not too bad.

I've just re-measured my shock and it's 38mm right to the end of the stanchion - the o-ring has fallen off the end a few times so perhaps that's the limit of travel?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Look up the original spec and see whst it says?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    what don't you like about your current shock?
  • declan1
    nicklouse wrote:
    Look up the original spec and see whst it says?

I can't find the original spec of the bike anywhere - also the shock's an X-Fusion but with Decathlon branding so it's not on their site either.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• declan1
    POAH wrote:

It's not very supple and has no rebound damping adjustment. The bushings are completely worn out so I though now's the time to get the new shock :)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    declan1 wrote:
    POAH wrote:

It's not very supple and has no rebound damping adjustment. The bushings are completely worn out so I though now's the time to get the new shock :)

165x35 is a bit of an odd size, 165x38 is standard.
  • declan1
    POAH wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    POAH wrote:

165x35 is a bit of an odd size, 165x38 is standard.

Yeah, I'm thinking that I've just measured it wrong. Thanks for the help guys! :)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred