Treating shoes

markiegrim
markiegrim Posts: 136
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
Sorry if this is a bit sad, but should i treat my new cycling shoes in some way? Just thinking might need to protect against water, mud, etc, etc....

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    When its wet or muddy use overshoes, job done.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just ride them. I've never heard of anyone treating them.
  • markiegrim
    markiegrim Posts: 136
    Thanks. Mrs works in a shoe shop so was insisting I should use "shoe cream". Thought is was a bit sad
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,848
    Most shoes' uppers are plastic based these days and hence shoe creams do very little.

I remember my missus buying football boots for our son and coming back with boots and a tube of shoe cream. The instructions clearly said for leather, the shoes clearly said man made uppers. She said it was a heavy sales patter from the spotty youf.

I took the tube back unopened and challenged their heavy sales approach for the extras (probably more margin in these than the shoes). What was obvious was that the spotty youf had no idea what the cream was for and all he was doing was following orders. JJB sports IIRC!! Cowboys.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,479
    They used to piddle on their boots in the first world war to soften the leather up.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    Buy them a cake on their birthday?

But seriously...depends what material they are made up from. I have a pair of Scotts i sometimes wear, lovely shoes but can develop an annoying squeak. I sought advice on here & was advised to use Mr Sheen (no joke) on the faux leather upper. It works!!!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    They used to piddle on their boots in the first world war to soften the leather up.

Can't say I blame them, probably softened up their trousers at times too :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,479
    Bloody spooky this. I go on a sojourn from BB (yes, I escaped) and I get followed by the same kin.
    Bally did this to me too.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!