Shimano gear cable replacement

cgraley77
cgraley77 Posts: 66
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Hi guys, hoping for some help here.
Managed to snap my RD cable today where it is held in the shifter.
Looking to replace it myself (after a 35 quid quote from Cyclesurgery) and just wondering both what parts I need to buy (just inner cabling, or is new outer cabling also required? If so can anyone link me to the correct cabling please?). Or would this be better to be left to a bike shop?

Also if anyone has a link to a comprehensive article detailing the fitting of new cabling to Shimano Tiagra shifters that would be extremely useful!

Otherwise can anyone recommend a good LBS in the Bristol area where the work will be done to a good quality at a decent price?

Many thanks for you help in advance ladies and gents
Cameron

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Try YouTube. :)
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    £35? Assuming the shifter isn't jammed, it's a 5 minute job since the cable runs externally.

(I.e. not under the bar tape. You may have internal frame routing, but even so...)
  • Whether you replace the outer is dependent on condition. If it's old and corroded it may have been the reason the inner broke in the first place, putting a new inner in a knackered outer won't end well. If you need to replace both then you should factor in buying a decent pair of cable cutters such as the park tools one. Cheap cable cutters are a false economy.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Get a decent pair of cable shears and make sure you're careful about not getting debris into the cable housing. That means giving the old cable a wipe where you're gonna pull it through the housing when you remove it, etc. etc. or you'll find yourself with ropey shifting.

Other than that it's a pretty easy job. Take a look at the old UTube and Park Tools webby.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • cgraley77
    cgraley77 Posts: 66
    Thanks for the advice guys, all done now.
    The sense of achievement is indescribable...
    In all honesty though this will definitely make me more confident to do repairs going forward

Cheers
  • Well done, a good start and you'll save yourself some serious cash doing the work. Be wary though, I ended up lookin after the repairs of a few of my cycling colleagues and the novelty of that soon wore off!