BB cable guide - Campag v Shimano

Bordersroadie
Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
edited March 2014 in Workshop
I'm ordering the few last bits and bobs for a new build. The bottom bracket cable guide is one of these - one of those black plastic type. The online supplier has only Campag cable guides. I'm on Shimano derailleurs but surely the Campag one will be okay? Or not?

Also I notice the Shimano OEM ones have two fixing holes in the plastic piece but my new frame has only a single central hole under the BB.

Help appreciated.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Interchangeable IME - it is just a piece of plastic
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Interchangeable. The bigger issue is whether a standard guide will fit at all - does your frame not come with one? Modern frames often won't take the old style guides.
  • Bordersroadie
    No, the frame comes with just a threaded hole. The old-style plastic guide should fit, it's a titanium 68mm BS threaded BB.

Thanks, chaps, I'll just order the Campag one.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Ah right. Yes, I expect that should be fine.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You'll need a short bolt to hold it in place, something with 10mm thread max.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Pop rivet works well. Or a spire nut which may avoid the BB shell.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Also I notice the Shimano OEM ones have two fixing holes in the plastic piece but my new frame has only a single central hole under the BB.
    90% of the time either the C or Sh version will work but Shimano has two holes for different placement on the BB, not for two screws. Once in awhile you come across a bike that works better with the cable guide moved to one side slightly.
  • Bordersroadie
    90% of the time either the C or Sh version will work but Shimano has two holes for different placement on the BB, not for two screws. Once in awhile you come across a bike that works better with the cable guide moved to one side slightly.

I thought that that might be the reason for the two holes - now I'm wondering if the Campag one will fit into the right position. It does have a "long" hole to allow you to slide it, and it comes with a short pan head bolt to screw into the threaded hole in the BB (or at least the photo shows this).

It's not been delivered yet but I'll report back incase the info is of use to anyone else in the future.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    ^^^Odds are it will work fine .