Best value 23" Road tyre for commuting?

glasgowbhoy
glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Tyres need replacing. Have run Durano S over the winter and they have been fine.
I'm just wondering if there's anything else I should consider?
Cant go to 25s as there's very little clearance with the mudguards I keep on throughout the year.
Biggest considerations Price, longevity, wet weather performance

Thanks

Comments

• hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase - on offer at £10.79 at All Terrain Cycles at the moment. I just bought 6!

I've had these tyres on my training bike for over 5 years and have had one puncture in all that time and I must have done at least 15,000 miles on them (not the same set!! :mrgreen: )

EDIT: They grip well too, they've never let go on me once and I use them throughout the Winter. More than I can say for other tyres I've tried like Continental Gatorskins for instance.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Durano S!

Thinking about using a standard Durano on the rear though - at least for winter for a bit more puncture protection and durability.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    If you want durability, Vittoria Randonneur 23 will give you 5-6000 miles pretty much puncture free... they are not particularly fast or soft, but you have to trade off somewhere.

IME there is no such thing as a light, fast and durable tyre.. it's just impossible to get those three adjectives together...
    left the forum March 2023
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    You see I'm impressed with a set of Vittoria Rubinos, they can be had for £15 a pair if you shop around. Had my first p4nct4re last week, looking at the flat spots on the carcass they're almost at the end of their working life. Mileage? Dunno, 3000? (But then I had my first puncture on a set of Gatorskins this week). Grip? I've no idea how to measure this objectively. Came off on the ice in January three times (in one commute). But my gatorskins had me off in December when there was no ice.

So they're cheap, they're not obviously worse than gatorskins and the tyre colour matches my frame.
  • glasgowbhoy
    Cheers folks , I'll give those bontragers a go.
    The Durano S were a warranty replacement so just put them on to see how they lasted.
    For a more race/training tyre they held up ok over the last 3 months and have seen 250-300 miles a week. It's not been to harsh a winter up here,so, that probably extended their life.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Cheers folks , I'll give those bontragers a go.
    The Durano S were a warranty replacement so just put them on to see how they lasted.
    For a more race/training tyre they held up ok over the last 3 months and have seen 250-300 miles a week. It's not been to harsh a winter up here,so, that probably extended their life.

The Bontragers are the slowest tyre I've ever ridden (with the exception of the Ice Spiker Pros on my MTB). I was telling a colleague this after he fitted a set so he measured his average speed on his commute and reckoned he was over 1mph slower. My set lasted 1 week when I got 2 punctures and could get nowhere near my usual speed down the final hill before home. Personally I think they are rubbish. In contrast I love the Rubino Pro - fast and very puncture resistant. Some say they don't grip well but I've not found that. There's a higher grip version if you're worried about that.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Another Rubino Pro fan here. They seem to be hardwearing but have a reasonably lively feel. Tried Lithion 2's recently which are ok for about £12 but not as supple and a bit more plasticky feeling.
  • glasgowbhoy
    Monday morning change of plan. All Terrain had the Rubino Pro's on sale ,so, for a tenner a pair more have changed the order and see how I get on with them instead.

Thanks again