I need some wheel advice

rajdav
rajdav Posts: 42
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I have just started doing some weekly 10 mile TT and want to get some new wheels.

I have been thinking about some 50mm aero wheels. However, I am looking for some wheels that can also work on club runs and the odd sportive.

Therefore,my first question would be are 50mm wheels suitable for multi purpose use? (I am not particular built for TT at 85 kg and am aiming for 27 minutes this year).

The wheels I have been looking at are,

MAVIC Cosmic Carbone SL (top end of budget)
Shimano RS80 C50
Fulcrum Red Wind 50

I'd rather spend about £500 mark. Or should I look at a different wheel type altogether?

Any thoughts much appreciated.
Cannondale Supersix Ultegra
Genesis iO

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I am seriously crap and can do 26 minutes with no aerodynamic stuff... if you aim at 27 you don't need deep rims, just harder training
    left the forum March 2023
  • rajdav wrote:

I'd rather spend about £500 mark. Or should I look at a different wheel type altogether?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Chinese carbon wheels on novatec hubs, about £220
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Get yourself a set of fulcrum quattros or mavic cosmic elite, less money spent but more importantly can be used for regular rides. The 50mm deep models will not only be more costly but challenging in the wind.
    Also keep pedaling, crankup the milage and your sure to get in shape :wink:
    Specialized Roubaix Elite Summer Stead
    Specialized Allez Sport Winter hack
    Specialized Tricross Sport Off Road / Trainer
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I am seriously crap and can do 26 minutes with no aerodynamic stuff... if you aim at 27 you don't need deep rims, just harder training

LOL!

Seriously, A 27 minute 10 mile TT means you will be averaging around 22 mph. Aero wheels won't give you anything at that speed (or so I'm reliably informed by internet armchair pundits :mrgreen: ).
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Aero wheel will help at that speed. Aero wheels reduces you overall drag coefficent. There was a thread here last year in which the calcs were done and the time saving is real.

Having said that a 27min 10 mile TT is a time I beat last year (I was not even fit then) I did that on 28 spoke shallowish clinchers. Todays TT was done with 50mm carbon wheels as yes I do notice the difference. Without aerobars on an other wise normal road bike I managed a 1hr1 min time over 21.7 hill miles -it not called the mad march hilly for nothing. As the fastest rider pulled a 48min23 I have alot of training to do.

I have the wheels for road racing I do not have a TT bike. The biggest difference to times apart from hard training will be a cheap set of extension bars.

I am not getting a TT bike until I can do a sub 24min 10 mile TT in other words never.

Buy the 50mm deep wheels if you want to but if you want to go faster get some extension bars first and train.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    50mm are fine for all purpose riding unless its windy or wet. If they have carbon brake tracks its hard to stop when its raining. I bought Boras ages ago mainly to use on club TTs (and for bling) but I also bought tri bars. No point in one without the other for a flat TT. The other thing to consider is your helmet as your head is one of the main areas of drag. But you need to train as you dont want to be turning up with all the gear and no idea.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • I've just picked up the 50mm RS81s from Planet X for £449.00 a pair. These were purchased as general purpose wheels (sportives, sprint & olympic distance triathlons and long rides with mates) and were chosen for price and the fact they hve an aluminium braking surface. First ride on Saturday on these and seemed brilliant, very snappy rigid ride compared to my old Alex S480 rims. Slight cross wind along sea front but didn't impact on the ride.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Think that in the scheme of things, for bang for your buck, aero-wise it is helmet 1st, TT bars give a decent improvement and wheels are lower - front wheel more important than rear. Skinsuit also, or at least a tight fitting jersey/shorts combo.
  • ugo.santalucia
    andyrr wrote:
    Think that in the scheme of things, for bang for your buck, aero-wise it is helmet 1st, TT bars give a decent improvement and wheels are lower - front wheel more important than rear. Skinsuit also, or at least a tight fitting jersey/shorts combo.

Do you really want to show up at a TT with all of that clatter and post a 27 minutes, when the local 15 YO wonder boy on a Halfords bike will do 24? :roll:
  • andyrr wrote:

Do you really want to show up at a TT with all of that clatter and post a 27 minutes, when the local 15 YO wonder boy on a Halfords bike will do 24? :roll:

:lol:
  • rajdav
    rajdav Posts: 42
    Thanks

I appreciate training is the key. But I just want to buy some wheels that to some degree are going to help. I don't think aerodynamic advantage is the preserve of the elite.

So, if I turn up to a TT with better wheels etc and post what would for me be a real achievement of 27 mins, I would happily take that!
    Cannondale Supersix Ultegra
    Genesis iO
  • ugo.santalucia
    rajdav wrote:
    Thanks

I appreciate training is the key. But I just want to buy some wheels that to some degree are going to help. I don't think aerodynamic advantage is the preserve of the elite.

So, if I turn up to a TT with better wheels etc and post what would for me be a real achievement of 27 mins, I would happily take that!

Yes, but you can train harder and you will post a 27 and feel proud of yourself... :wink:
    Honestly, anyone with a bit of training can do a 27 min. In 12 months you will be doing 25 regularly and then you should be looking at what you need to be faster and compete with the fast guys...

Right now it's just a shortcut
  • If you do want to get some deeper wheels without spending a huge amount of money then the Planet X 52mm carbon clinchers are on sale for under £400 at the moment - they are not too heavy, were rated as being the best aero wheel under £1000 bike radar and, if you like the look, just might give you an incentive to get out on the bike and ride - which, after all, is the best way to get to a better TT time for you right now. If you want a wider wheel then the CT45s are the same price but I think that they are slightly heavier. :wink:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Ugo, stop posting logical helpful advice. The chap is going to buy some bling wheels whatever!! Spring fever hits every year and £500 wheels that look pro are usually top of the list :)
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    How about going TTing with what you have. Set yourself a target and if you hit it then buy yourself kit as you go along as a reward? I have done this sort of thing over the last three seasons.
    Why do you want 'all purpose' wheels? If you already have wheel for road/club use then anything you buy for TTing should be more specific. For wheel I would definitely go with a set of PlanetX carbon tubs as your first set, they are a well known bit of kit with a good track record. If you don't get on with TTing then they are easily sold on.
  • ugo.santalucia
    In 1929 someone had already had a go at deep rims... been there, done that, move on

deeprims_zps76a5dfdb.jpg
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Time trials to me are all about riding as fast you can with what you have it is a race against your previous time on the course. Buying a bit of speed is fine but you get a bit of a kick when you are riding a quick as some folk with some of the gear and you have none and you are as quick or faster.

I am not sure which buys more speed extension bars or a helmet I do know wheels are secondary and in reality should be the last thing you buy. Plently of folk in my local club ride TT's on standard road bikes it is how everyone starts.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    TT bars and Aerohelmet do help considerably ...

I've just posted 2 course PBs on my commute - whilst practicing using the Aerobars (yesterday) and tried the (donated) aerohelmet with aerobars today...
    The rest of the bike is bog-standard ...

But I wasn't hitting 28 or 27 minutes - it was 29minutes for just shy of 10 miles - something to do with some lanes than you can't hurtle down, a right hand junction onto a main road and a good climb out of the village ... excuses excuses! ;) I'm just happy to have posted a PB ...
  • ugo.santalucia
    Slowbike wrote:
    TT bars and Aerohelmet do help considerably ...

I've just posted 2 course PBs on my commute - whilst practicing using the Aerobars (yesterday) and tried the (donated) aerohelmet with aerobars today...
    The rest of the bike is bog-standard ...

But I wasn't hitting 28 or 27 minutes - it was 29minutes for just shy of 10 miles - something to do with some lanes than you can't hurtle down, a right hand junction onto a main road and a good climb out of the village ... excuses excuses! ;) I'm just happy to have posted a PB ...

SO let me see if I got this right... you commute with an aero helmet.... :shock: