What do you recommend?

alamb200
alamb200 Posts: 74
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Before Christmas I asked a question about what mountain bike to buy for my son and the forums came through massively on their help and advice.

So it is my turn. I am a 40ish year old man who bought his last road bike when he was 15 and have been using it ever since (it was second hand then), it is getting to the point were I think it needs replacing.

As you can imagine I have no idea what to buy and I am on a very limited budget (£250 max) so realistically I am looking at a second hand bike.

Okay more about me (my favourite subject :) ) I am around 5 foot 10 inches tall around 10 stone 10 pounds. At present I use my bike mainly to get to work and back a round trip of 39 miles. I have mudguards and a panier which I would like to keep.

I do not want a hybrid bike and like to go as fast as I can to get to work, over the summer I was averaging 18 miles per hour (flat roads).

Can anyone help me with advice\recommendations on a replacement for my beloved but tired Falcon racer? (the rear cassette fell off last week so I think it is time it went.

Thanks for your time and advice.

alamb200

Comments

• YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    Best to look at a few options close to you on EBay (i.e. ones you can see, collect and not pay postage for)....post them up here and people will comment.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I just had a quick look and Halfords are doing a new Carrera for £269. Decathlon also have the Triban 3 for £250 but looks like they may have sold out of your size but may have one in a local store. You're not going to get a very high spec. for that sort of money but they look decent enough bikes for commuting on.

You might find something on eBay as YIMan suggests but in my experience people seem to expect too much for their second-hand kit on there so difficult to source a bargain, especially if you don't know what you are looking for.

Failing that, the classifieds on here or other forums where you may be able to haggle.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    A lot of love here for the budget entry level decathlon triban 3 or 5 bikes, good quality value for money. We;l worth investigating. A plus seems to be that decathlon guys will look after you better on fitting and maintenance than halfords.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    This isn't the right size for you, but it the sort of thing I would be looking out for on the bay if I were in your position.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-A ... 43c67af641

Peter