Most recent HUGE solo win?

josame
josame Posts: 1,141
edited March 2014 in Pro race
What was the most recent several minutes+ solo win in either stage or day race?
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Tom Boonen at PR 2012, he went solo for about 50k, not sure abput time gap
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Me up Effy on the club run, club run pace.

Oh, wait...
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    josame wrote:
    What was the most recent several minutes+ solo win in either stage or day race?
    What counts as 'recent'?
    In the 1993 TdF, Italian Fabio Roscioli won the stage finishing in Marseille over 7 mins ahead of the rider who finished second.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Recent ?? Does Richard Virenque's ( Domo) win at Paris - Tours count when he seemed to be away in front all day.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Recent ?? Does Richard Virenque's ( Domo) win at Paris - Tours count when he seemed to be away in front all day.

From memory, he didn't win by much in the end (maybe 1 min+) but as his first (or so) race back from his ban it was good stuff ... Like Vino, it doesn't matter if you like it, it's history and legend ... Especially as P-T used to,be the last round of the 'World Cup' (always won by Zabel) ...
  • Adam Hansen in the Giro last year, Thomas de Gendt in Giro 2012, off the top of my head
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Heinrich Haussler - TdF 2009, Stage 13.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Boonen's is probably the best solo win of the last few years. Riding the last 50ks of Paris-Roubaix solo is pretty ridiculous when you think about it.

Then there's errm Floyd Landis, stage 17 of the 2006 Tour :oops:
  • Crankbrother
    Thing is, if we're gonna discount rides due to doping (or possible doping) you've likely only got about the last 5 years to work with ...

Floyd's ride to eventual shame is easily THE huge solo win since my time watching pro cycling (since 1997) and still my favourite cycling moment (I keep it simple and accept it's just telly) ...

Zabriskie's 162km Vuelta stage win in 2004 is also a good solo effort ... Shame he's even more of a tool than Floyd ...
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Milton50 wrote:
    Boonen's is probably the best solo win of the last few years. Riding the last 50ks of Paris-Roubaix solo is pretty ridiculous when you think about it.

This. Especially when you consider he got mullered on beer and whisky the night before. :wink::wink::wink:
  • Crankbrother
    mike6 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

This. Especially when you consider he got mullered on beer and whisky the night before. :wink::wink::wink:

It worked for Tommy Simpson ... oh, wait ...
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Most of the solo wins named above were impressive but without the time gap which my example, Roscioli, managed. Haussler and Landis were probably closest, both 4 mins something.

Of purely impressive stage wins, irrespective of time gap, I think Eros Poli’s Ventoux stage win in 1991 takes some beating. The last quarter of the stage went up and over the Ventoux.
    He attacked after 60 km and rode the remainder of the 230 km stage alone. After 170 km, he arrived at the foot of the Ventoux with a lead of almost 24 mins, which was down to 4-30 at the top, and was only 2 mins at the finish. But he won.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    That sounds like a great ride...the pain he must have felt up the Ventoux would have been something else...sufferfest for the duration. Chapeau.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • That sounds like a great ride...the pain he must have felt up the Ventoux would have been something else...sufferfest for the duration. Chapeau.

It's also worth noting that Eros Poli must have weighed about 90kg as well. Which was probably a help on the way down...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    In terms of impact it's hard to get better than Chiapucci. His nearly won him the Tour. Or you've got Pantani to les Deux Alpe, which did win him the Tour.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Heinrich Haussler - TdF 2009, Stage 13.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dOy6TlkuV4

poor conditions.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    phreak wrote:
    In terms of impact it's hard to get better than Chiapucci. His nearly won him the Tour. Or you've got Pantani to les Deux Alpe, which did win him the Tour.

De Gehnt in the Giro was the virutal pink jersey at one point I believe.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Emma Pooley, Montreal world cup, 2009.
    Attacked 400m from the start and stayed away for the entire race.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    knedlicky wrote:
    Most of the solo wins named above were impressive but without the time gap which my example, Roscioli, managed. Haussler and Landis were probably closest, both 4 mins something.

Of purely impressive stage wins, irrespective of time gap, I think Eros Poli’s Ventoux stage win in 1991 takes some beating. The last quarter of the stage went up and over the Ventoux.
    He attacked after 60 km and rode the remainder of the 230 km stage alone. After 170 km, he arrived at the foot of the Ventoux with a lead of almost 24 mins, which was down to 4-30 at the top, and was only 2 mins at the finish. But he won.

Poli's stage is probably still my favourite Tour stage since I started following cycling properly. Watching his huge lead getting whittled down on the climb and urging him to hang on to the finish. I loved Chiapucci's stage as well, Carrera were my favourite team at the time.
  • frenchfighter
    andrew_s wrote:
    Emma Pooley, Montreal world cup, 2009.
    Attacked 400m from the start and stayed away for the entire race.

That was pretty amazing. Did something similar in A Binda:
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12767593
    Contador is the Greatest
  • josame
    Some great suggestions, I should have been more specific I meant finish time dif between 1st and 2nd place, but still, leading from the start and finishing first is v impressive
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133

Zabriskie's 162km Vuelta stage win in 2004 is also a good solo effort ... Shame he's even more of a tool than Floyd ...

He was also helped by the fact that Valverde had a massive crash behind and the peloton was going slow to allow him to keep up (he was pretty battered and bruised).
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador, stage 5 of Tirreno-Adriatico 2014.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • josame
    Like it..
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    It was a good effort but does 30km count as 'massive'? Had King won it would have been a truly great long distance victory.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Landis ,,,Awesome .

Also Evans dragging everybody back to Andy Schleck heading towards Alp d' Huez.

He rode that whole section in front, head wind dragging everyone along.

And Contador's cheeky Vuelta attack.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Shame no-one saw then start of that attack Rayjay! Just turned it on and it was basically "Contador has pretty much won the race but the cameraman was in bed"!
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Shame no-one saw then start of that attack Rayjay! Just turned it on and it was basically "Contador has pretty much won the race but the cameraman was in bed"!

Paul. someone ages ago, WW Sight I think [not sure] posted some motorbike footage of Contadors attack ....
    He was just riding so fast. One who 2 riders tried to grab his wheel but he was gone.

hang on I will try a you tube , I tried a google as well but no joy.

Maybe some one out their has a link?
  • frenchfighter
    If I find it ill post it. Think it was from a spectator. Now you see him now you dont.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I'd forgotten Andy Schleck on stage 18 of the 2011 Tour. He attacked 60km out with most of the Col d'Izoard and the whole of the Galibier still to climb (into a headwind).It wasn't strictly solo but his team mate basically only provided support on the descent after which Andy powered on.

It was old school Grand Tour racing.

I was thinking back to this stage after watching him get blown out the back of a peloton yet again today. Wish he could get his act together.