Minor fall - would you replace helmet?

notnot
notnot Posts: 284
edited March 2014 in Commuting general
I slipped off my bike recently - just skidded on a cycle path and the bike went down to the left with me still in the saddle. I landed on my side which took the bulk of the impact, but my head also ended up on the grass. I didn't take much of a knock to the head, but my head/helmet might have skidded along the grass verge by the path.

No visible damage to the helmet, but would you replace in case of damage I can't see? According to my phone, I'll have been going around 14mph when I came off. I didn't hit anything, except for the ground!

Me and bike are fine, by the way - think I came off lightly!

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    No.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Similar to what I did... Didn't replace mine
  • damocles10
    damocles10 Posts: 340
    If you have a cheap helmet it may not be as robust as a higher end one but they are build to standards....I personally won't replace if there is no obvious damage.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    i wouldn't replace it either. if you've given it a look over and it appears to be fine then it should be.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    It's a good question. My motorbike helmet has always been treated with kid gloves....they always say even dropping it will compromise the crash structure, and will therefore need replacing. I don't think bike helmets are quite so high tech, so I'd probably just keep it if there's no visible damage.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Could be worth checking to see what the crash replacement rules are on the helmet. If there is a scheme it might be worth replacing it for free, otherwise I'd agree with above that if you hit the (currently soft) grass with it you're not really going to have damaged it.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013