What to eat after a long ride?

2»

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yes - it always takes me a little longer to recover because of my (albeit short) bike commute that I always treat as a sprint to make the most of it. My legs are still feeling it a bit but they'll sort themselves out ready for the weekend when I'm back in Scotland and can tackle some hills.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I seem to have found a link between stuffing my face and the growing buldge of fat around my midriff

Perhaps

Now what should I have for breakfast?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    itboffin wrote:

Prunes?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    itboffin wrote:

Prunes?

Wrong!!!

Bacon sandwich, three rashers brown sauce and white bread, also its important to make sure you dont let all the lovely juices drip off, cooking in a tray of its own fat its the only way.

nom nom nom
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    Your question was what you should have for breakfast :wink:

This week I've definitely got that feeling that my clothes are loose on me - trousers at the waist but also, slightly bizarrely, my shirts feel loose too.

Whatever I'm doing, it seems to be working. Less than 3 months to go...
  • When you are doing a century on the bike, i assume you are also eating ON the bike?
    You would want to be taking a little more than just water if you want the workout to be really worthwhile.

When trying to lose weight and doing big miles, in my opinion, it is actually more vital that you fuel properly as soon as you get off. Otherwise you will be hungry and gorge later on. A mix of carbs and protein. Simple carbs as well. Replenish some lost glycogen. I would imagine your cold feeling post sunday ride was simply the symptoms of depleted glycogen stores.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    What to eat after a big ride = absolutely fcuking everything in sight

This may be where my weight issues come from...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • meanredspider
    When you are doing a century on the bike, i assume you are also eating ON the bike?
    You would want to be taking a little more than just water if you want the workout to be really worthwhile.

When trying to lose weight and doing big miles, in my opinion, it is actually more vital that you fuel properly as soon as you get off. Otherwise you will be hungry and gorge later on. A mix of carbs and protein. Simple carbs as well. Replenish some lost glycogen. I would imagine your cold feeling post sunday ride was simply the symptoms of depleted glycogen stores.

Yes - absolutely I eat on the bike but I keep it relatively simple - a banana, maybe a couple of Mule Bars, and something with a coffee at a stop or two - probably 500-700kcals. I don't gorge later - normally a bit of granola and milk when I get in (as "recovery" food) and then whatever I have for dinner (the purpose of this thread). Yes - I'm sure depleted glycogen explains the cold feeling - maybe leading to low blood glucose level. I should take my blood glucose on one of these rides to see what it's doing. It's quite complex though because your liver delivers glycogen in response to exercise so it can be quite odd.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    SecretSam wrote:
    What to eat after a big ride = absolutely fcuking everything in sight

This may be where my weight issues come from...

:lol::lol::lol:
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I hear all this "carbs" "protein" "glycogen" blah blah

just eat everything

if you gain weight you aren't riding enough
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    vorsprung wrote:

just eat everything

Yeh I just eat a healthy balanced diet, but go LARGE.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • meanredspider
    vorsprung wrote:

just eat everything

140 miles in a weekend (same again this weekend 100 + 40) isn't too bad. I actually want to lose weight (a colleague told me to stop today).

On the positive side, the power is creeping up century by century.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Chocolate Milk - quarter the price of fancy protein shakes and almost identical nutritional stats.

3:1 ratio of carbs:protein
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • meanredspider
    stu-bim wrote:
    Chocolate Milk - quarter the price of fancy protein shakes and almost identical nutritional stats.

3:1 ratio of carbs:protein

4500kcals worth? :shock: :wink:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I've always understood that you need to eat within 20 mins or so of getting home. I rode a solo 100 miler yesterday. Had a protein shake (my protein powder + full fat milk) followed by a bowl of left over Ramen. Big bowl of pasta and some lean protein will usually do the job. Also woke up it 2 am starving and had another protein shake, legs feel absolutely fine today. Certainly help recovery when you're doing consecutive long days in the saddle.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    4500kcals worth? :shock: :wink:

Nah, you'd have some sore guts.

But it is a cheap, quick and easy 400/500kCal immediately on finishing and 15/20 grams of protein. And also helps in case of dehydration.

Lets you settle down and relax. Stops you rushing to eat thinking you need to recover and then having some crap.

A lot of people think after a heavy bout of exercise that your body can handle anything.

I would tend to go the other way and believe that your body is going to suck up whatever you put in so don't put in crap.
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • jspash
    jspash Posts: 107
    I've always understood that you need to eat within 20 mins or so of getting home.

From what I've read there is no "need" to eat within a certain timing window:
    http://www.schwarzenegger.com/fitness/p ... cid-timing

But that post is referring to bodybuilding and more specifically to protein, not carbs.

I find that if I eat something small but dense, like an apple, as soon as I get home, but *before* I get cleaned up & put the bike away, then the massive hunger subsides tremendously. I can then use my brain, and not my stomach to decide what to eat. I will usually follow up with a protein shake and some gherkins (keeps the soreness away). Then depending on how many miles I just put in, I'll gobble down a curry or massive calzone and 1/2 bottle of wine. As a treat.

But don't follow my advice. I'm slow! (and a little bit greedy)