Bike "parking" at Supermarkets - name and shame!

Ringpeace
Ringpeace Posts: 105
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
Starting to get really bugged with the inadequate bike " racks" at supermarkets.

My local big store has the rubbish racks simply screwed int o the floor.

Another Waitrose store I have has bike racks - not even fixed to anything! It's ridiculous - name and shame where the bike racks are massively unsuitable!

Thanks

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    At Cameron Toll in Edinburgh more than half the (tiny number of) racks are unsheltered, even though the building overhangs in such a way that putting them under cover would have been very easy. Nothing like coming back to a soggy saddle.

Supermarkets don't want you cycling though, because that way you can't carry as many purchases.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    The parking locally isn't that bad, but it's clear very few do use bikes, even the tiny number of bike stands are never full vs the car parks that can be.
  • Ringpeace
    Ringpeace Posts: 105
    At Cameron Toll in Edinburgh more than half the (tiny number of) racks are unsheltered, even though the building overhangs in such a way that putting them under cover would have been very easy. Nothing like coming back to a soggy saddle.

Supermarkets don't want you cycling though, because that way you can't carry as many purchases.

They are missing a trick then. I can get around 20 KGs just in my backpack. I always have a basket so an very quick and always prepared at the checkout to pay and fill my bag.

If anything - and from what I see in a few of my local - non out of town supermarkets - a customer that gets in and out withing 5 minutes but spending a considerable amount of money - would be my ideal customer.

I think I am going to write to Waitrose about their pick up able "bike storage". I thought they were supposed to be big on their green credentials? Tesco isn't worth wasting my time with.

But if any bike thieves scoping the joing - Tesco don't bother properly locking their bike racks down. A few socket sets and you can simply undo the mount and take it with you if needs be!
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Clearly its a Tesco policy to have bolt down bike racks. Same setup at the Trowbridge store. The barriers they use to corral trollies are better secured (which shows exactly where there priorities lie. :( )

On a more positive note both the Sainsburys stores in Bath have decent racks that are completely undercover.

Mike
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    The Sheen Waitrose one is pretty good, I use it a few times a week. Its in front of the supermarket, is covered, and is easily accessible.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Brand new Aldi in Leamington Spa...
    4 nicely installed (buried) Sheffield stands, but 30m up the side of the building so I didn't even see them until after I'd paid.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    I just half-fold the brompton and wheel it round the shop like a trolley. You can tell the security guard wants to say something but can't figure out if he's got a valid argument.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Good: Sainsbury's in Durham. Lots (10+) of Sheffield stands along the front of the store - in full sight of the checkouts, under an overhang outside so kept dry unless the rain is sideways.
    Bad: Tesco Extra in Durham. Bolted down 'front wheel' rack with space for 4 bikes. In sight of nothing except the car park.

Would seem strange as in the above example Tesco actually sells bikes in store, Sainsbury's doesn't.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Tesco actually sells bikes in store, .
    Are you sure they are bikes and not BSO's?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    nothing can beat the new Cabot Circus shopping centre in Bristol

That's Bristol as in "National Cycling City" as was - and when its new flagship town centre shopping opened, they suddenly realised that in the cycling city, they'd forgotten to fit ANY bike racks

Oops

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The new Tesco at Gateshead in the newly developed town centre has bike racks outside, but you aren't allowed to cycle up to them, you have to dismount a few hundred metres away and walk.