TT Groupset Decision

meesterbond
meesterbond Posts: 1,240
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Going to build up a new TT bike (probably based around a Dolan Scala frame & ADR Ultimate bars) but in a bit of a quandary about groupset.
First debate is whether to go 11 speed or stick with 10. 11 would mean a new rear race wheel (I've got compatible training wheels), so an excuse to buy a rear disk perhaps.

If I go 10 speed it'll probably be SRAM Red as I like the RTC shifters and it's what I'm used to, however there's no sign of any 11 speed SRAM TT shifters (at all, let alone RTC ones). So I started thinking about Dura-Ace 9000 which (other than the wheel question) works out quite a bit cheaper.

The other option is to go with 11 speed Ultegra Di2, but I can't even work out what I need let alone cost it up yet but I'm thinking it'll be about twice as much.

Just a collection of thoughts at the moment, but for those who've used either, what do you think?

Comments

• brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    what do you have right now? If you have 10 speed ultegra 6700, you could run this with just a pair of satellite shofters, front and rear mech and battery running at about £600 ish from merlin on occasion? Come to think of it any brakes and chainset will do it. Neo pro chainsets can be had down to 250 new from 650 if you want the full pro look for under a grand? TBH I rarely if ever use brakes during a TT so any brakes would do.
  • meesterbond
    It's a new build - currently don't have a TT bike as I sold the last one and spent last season on a road bike with clip-ons.
    Current have Campag on my best bike, SRAM on the training bike and Shimano in the cx so not really picky. I've only ever used SRAM on bar-end shifters though.

Chainset is covered - I'll use the Rotor 3D+ off my training bike as it's got my powermeter on it. Brakes are integrated into the frame so I don't really need the full groupset.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Nicer gruppos are wasted on TT bikes and going 10 speed would give you access to a much greater (and cheaper) wheels selection. I run DA7970 on my Plasma 3 (Di2 only frameset) and had DA7900 on my old Plasma 2. Di2 is super nice (and the only reason to spend decent money on the groupset) as shifter from the bullhorns is useful, but it's not something I would deem as necessary.

If going mechanical I'd spend the most time/money on the chainset as you want something stiff and ideally with aero rings, but it doesn't need to match the rest of the group. Front/rear mech choice is mostly irrelevant as properly setup they'll all do the job. R2C shifters are nice and even DA shifters do a nice job. Brakes will depends on the frame and you shouldn't have much use for them.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    One thing to bear in mind is that with a di2 setup you are able to change gear when you're on the brakes as well as on the extensions.

I wouldn't buy a sram red 10 speed group personally, because they're pretty much the same price as 11 speed groups.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • If you don't have the bars yet I have ones an indentical degisn for almost half off ADR, brand new. May free up a few pennies for the R2C shifters :)
  • meesterbond
    Cheers for the replies.
    From what I can tell there isn't an 11 speed SRAM bar end shifter available yet and I can find anything definite as to when it'll be available. Di2 would be nice but it looks like being £400 more and I'm not sure I can justify that. Plus I'll be building it myself and I've no idea where to start with electronic shifting.
    10 speed may be the same price but as Grill said, it'll save me a bit in new wheels (or at least give me access to more 2nd hand discs). I think the last Red 10 speed is the way to go with either e Raltech wheel cover or a rear disk.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Chances are any TT is going to be flat or predominantly flat so no need for lots of gears you ain't gonna use. A 10 speed with a tight range 11-23 or 25 max is all you need. 11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,23 would do just fine. That would save you plenty and you can get your better wheel selection