Question about tightness of Freehub body bolt

bus_ter
bus_ter Posts: 337
edited March 2014 in Workshop
I've just replaced the Shimano Freehub that failed on my wheel (started to spin in both directions).

I bought a specific heavy duty Park 10mm wrench for the job. It took a bit of force to remove the old freehub even with the large leverage from the tool.

Fitting the new one the bolt went quite tight and then I gave it a little elbow grease to tighten it right up. However it gets to a certain tightness (which is very tight considering the leverage and tool) but won't go any tighter and keeps turning. I gave it 4-5 1/4 turns at this force and it didn't get any tighter. It seems pretty secure and I put everything back together. I didn't want to keep turning it in fear of breaking something.

Any ideas?

Comments

• bus_ter wrote:
    it gets to a certain tightness (which is very tight considering the leverage and tool) but won't go any tighter and keeps turning. I gave it 4-5 1/4 turns at this force and it didn't get any tighter.

If a bolt is turning but isn't tightening the threads must be stripped surely !!
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Sounds like the thread is stripped to me as well.
  • bus_ter
    So basically I've over tightened it? What sort of torque should a freehub go on with?
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    bus_ter wrote:
    So basically I've over tightened it? What sort of torque should a freehub go on with?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=http%3A%2F%2Fbicycletutor.com%2Ftorque-specifications%2F
  • bus_ter
    Ok 35-50nm. Surely I didn't surpass that with a large allen key? Or maybe I don't know my own strength. Maybe it was the tool slipping? Oh well it seems secure and I expect the new freehub will out live the wheel (or at least the hub) and I'll never have to try and remove it.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I doubt you've stripped it by overtorquing; more likely that you've cross-threaded it.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}