hardtail vs full suss

Rigger/frigger
Rigger/frigger Posts: 44
edited March 2014 in MTB general
Guys and Girls,

I know this has probably been done to death in the past but I am fairly new to mtb, I bought myself a rockrider 8.1 and really enjoy the bike but I am having my head turned by all these beautifully engineered full suss bikes.

So the questions I would like to ask are:-

Is there a major difference in the ride between the two?

Is full suss better?

Would I find it advantageous to spend the 2-3k (and upwards I see) on a full suss?

My usual rides are lagan, glenlivet and moray monster trails with the odd trip golspie.

Thanks

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Someone will be along to say learn skills on a hardtail.

It'd ignore them. Full suss is ace for bumpy stuff. Keep the hardtail though and get a full suss and choose the most appropriate for the riding you are doing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I don't know the places you ride however FS is a benefit if
    1/You have to slow down when it gets a bit too bumpy
    2/ You have to lift your bum out the saddle a lot as it's too bumpy
    3/ You have to walk up hills a lot due to loss of traction over bumps

If not you are probably better off on your circa 1Kg (like for like) lighter hardtail.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If your fat, old, ugly, wheezy with knackered knees and back get a FS

If your gorgeous, sexy, skilfull and have to beat hot women (or men) off with a stick get a HT

Or is it the other way round I can never remember.

As long as it has wheels Its not about the bike buy the best bike you cant afford.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    stubs wrote:
    If your fat, old, ugly, wheezy with knackered knees and back get a FS

Check.
    stubs wrote:
    If your gorgeous, sexy, skilfull and have to beat hot women (or men) off with a stick get a HT

I have one of those as well, so maybe my mirror lies.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Test ride some on local trails and see what you like more.
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Full sussers cause cancer... Wiggle introduced them
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Both have their place. Both can be huge fun. Both can be fast or slow depending on the rider.
    You need one of each!
    Ignore people who tell you that you need to learn on a hardtail. You just need to learn to ride the bikes you own.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    It's really down to personal preference unless you are really into downhill. My first proper MTB in the 1990's was fully rigid and had cantilever brakes. Took it round Edale, the lack of brakes was terrifying and having no suspension meant my hands were unable to move properly for a while after finishing riding. Compared to that any modern MTB is a big improvement HT or FS.

If you have any long standing injuries FS can reduce the impact of riding.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Try and get along to a demo day and test as many bikes as you can, see which you enjoy riding the most.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • I bought a HT after a fair few years of not riding.
    I've never ridden anything but HT.
    I do like my 456 Ti, but I can't stop looking at shiny full sussers.
    Norco Sight C7.2
    Giant Defy 1 Disc
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    My first bike was a fully rigid clockwork orange from 1992. Loved it. Had a full sus Spesh enduro since 2002 loved it. Went all nostalgia and bought a cotic soul last April. Did not like it. To harsh, bumpy, aggravated my old back problem. I prefer a full sus any day.

Cotic soul frame is now for sale.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    The Rookie wrote:
    2/ You have to lift your bum out the saddle a lot as it's too bumpy
    3/ You have to walk up hills a lot due to loss of traction over bumps

If not you are probably better off on your circa 1Kg (like for like) lighter hardtail.

1/ Learn how to ride bumps on a hardtail and save 2 grand
    2/ You should have your bum off the saddle whether its a FS or HT on bumpy terrain, see 1 above
    3/ Learn how to adjust your weight and balance to maintain traction, see 1 above
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    The Rookie wrote:
    I was watching some World Cup DH riders the other day, all of the useless buggers were riding FS bikes... :roll:

Can I send them your way for a few lessons???
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    PaulBox wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    I was watching some World Cup DH riders the other day, all of the useless buggers were riding FS bikes... :roll:

Can I send them your way for a few lessons???

They are riding world cup tracks not a blue trail in Afan (or wherever you ride) - did you miss the difference between what they ride and what you ride? I guided in the Alps on a 100mm hardtail, I had a FS for the DH days sure but for everything else the little bike worked fine, so if anyone cant ride bumpy stuff on a HT sure come visit me and we'll work something out.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I personally find FS more fun to ride on the whole, a day on a HT is a good laugh but i find riding one all the time punishing on the aging body if im honest in comparison.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Started out on a hardtail, sill consider myself a novice and still riding the same 26 hardtail, however planning on upgrading to full suss after this year, most likely a 29er short travel 100-120 for a bit more comfort! I'll be holding onto the hardtail for the odd commute etc..
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    planning on upgrading to full suss after this year

Ooh, that's going to annoy the hardtail diehards... :wink:
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    I had a Boardman pro HT which was great but had to slow down massively for the bumpy stuff so bought a Scott spark 30 carbon FS frame for £400 with seat post Reba front forks and rear shock so might be worth a thought? there both identical in weight built up and I use all the same parts, wheels and tyres so as close as I can get to knowing the difference. FS is only worth it If you cant get away with HT with what riding you do I raced on my HT last week because there more efficient in power transfer than my short travel FS is. That said I am doing the Nutcracker series and will be using my FS for that. The FS improved my time around Dalby forest red 30mins but only due to slowing down for roughness.
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build