wheel Hub play/adjustment question

bus_ter
bus_ter Posts: 337
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Most guides I've read suggest adjusting the hub so there is a slight amount of play to allow for the slack taken up by the tightening of the quick release. However I've examined several sets of my factory wheels which have never been adjusted and I can't feel any play, even those that have done thousands of miles. Is this normal? Is the play obvious? I can't feel any side to side movement.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It all depends on the hubs.

What is this factory you mention?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bus_ter
    Factory as opposed to handbuilts. My Shimano RS80s and also budget Shimano 501s have zero play. This is how they came from the factory.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Yeah I've found the same. I bought a pair of R500 recently and I checked the play straight out of the box. Very little play before fitting and no play even with the QR at 45 degrees. Can only presume they're ok to run like that otherwise they'd be set up differently from the factory.
  • bus_ter
    Well I did my work today (changing a freehub) and serviced the wheel hub. I set the tightness so there was the smallest amount of play I could detect. Putting the wheel back on the bike with the QR there was no play at all. I think I'm happy with this adjustment.