So I need new wheels for my 11speed Ultegra.

Catastrophy
Catastrophy Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Since I only ever had some standard basic factory Shimano wheels that came with my €1000 bike I simply don't know what to buy now.

A while ago I got mavic open pro with dura ace 7800 hubs - but since I decided to get new ultegra 6800 for my build these wheels are of no use - sadly I didn't even get to use them and they're brand new :(

My first guess was new Ultegra 6800 wheel set at around €300. But after I looked around there are other option such as Mavic Ksyrium Elite S at €450 or so.

But is there anything else you'd suggest ? These will be all year, as much as I will have time to cycle and most likely will keep them for a long, long time.

Thanks

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,181
    you could get the rear wheel rebuilt with an 11-speed hub
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    sungod wrote:
    you could get the rear wheel rebuilt with an 11-speed hub
    This would be the best option unless you are planning to sell the wheels. It would probably still cost you £200-odd as the Dura Ace 9000 hubs aren't cheap.

However, another thing to bear in mind - you can run 11sp Campagnolo cassettes with 11sp Shimano drive trains, so you could always get the rear rebuilt with a Campagnolo compatible hub or buy the Campagnolo version of a set of new wheels. Of course you would be committed to using Campagnolo cassettes. Any Campagnolo compatible hub or wheel sold in the last 15 years or so will take 11sp as well as 10sp and 9sp Campagnolo cassettes, and you should be able to get something substantially cheaper than the Dura Ace 9000 hub (don't know if other better/cheaper Shimano-specific 11sp hubs are available).
  • Yes I'd be looking to sell the wheels I have and will buy new ones. Just don't really feel it's worth all the hassle. They are nice wheels and would be nice to have 2. I'd say the rebuild option will bump the price to the level of new wheels anyway.
  • neeb
    Yes I'd be looking to sell the wheels I have and will buy new ones. Just don't really feel it's worth all the hassle. They are nice wheels and would be nice to have 2. I'd say the rebuild option will bump the price to the level of new wheels anyway.
    Well, maybe not to the price level of an equally good set of new wheels? Depends. But getting wheels rebuilt needn't be a hassle, just take them to a wheel-builder. Probably more hassle to sell them.. :wink:
  • But apart from the rebuilding the rear wheel which I will consider - what other wheels would you recommend ?
  • neeb
    But apart from the rebuilding the rear wheel which I will consider - what other wheels would you recommend ?
    This would be my choice for your budget, but I always recommend Zondas when someone asks about wheels so I guess I am biased.. :wink:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zond ... -wheelset/

Don't know if the Shimano version is 11sp or not, you would need to ask. But as above, you could get the Campagnolo one and use a Campagnolo cassette.

Do you already have the 11sp Ultegra cassette or do you still need to buy an 11sp cassette?
  • freshe
    freshe Posts: 63
    I still need to get the ultegra :)

So kind of ruled out mavics. Looking at fulcrums or now them zondas.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Mindless impulse buying huh?
    On reflection it wasn't a great move. :?

Having the rear rebuilt with a 6800 hub is probably going to be free, considering the 7800 should sell well on Ebay
    left the forum March 2023
  • freshe
    freshe Posts: 63
    Nopr i got the for 10speed ultegra which i no longer have. So just new wheels advice plz.
  • ugo.santalucia
    freshe wrote:
    Nopr i got the for 10speed ultegra which i no longer have. So just new wheels advice plz.

Trying to set new standards for English grammar? :?
  • So I have these on the table, guess I should either go by the price or by the looks..

1) Campagnolo Zondas (€329) - if they take the shimano cassette
    2) Fulcrum Racing 3 (€349)
    3) Mavic Ksyrium Elite S (€370)
  • neeb
    Still think the best option would be to get the Dura Ace wheels rebuilt, unless you are looking eventually to have two sets of wheels.

Nothing really to choose between these three, they are of very similar weight and quality, and in fact the Zondas and Racing 3s are effectively identical apart from the rear spoke pattern. Zondas are the best deal if you can find a solution for 11sp Shimano.
  • Fulcrums then. Cheers for all the comments.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,922
    :roll:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-ultegra-rear-hub-6800/rp-prod109927

Get the 6800 hub built into the rear wheel. Sell the 7800 hub on ebay. Easiest and cheapest way to do to it.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • ugo.santalucia
    rozzer32 wrote:
    :roll:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-ultegra-rear-hub-6800/rp-prod109927

Get the 6800 hub built into the rear wheel. Sell the 7800 hub on ebay. Easiest and cheapest way to do to it.

I don't think he is interested in sensible...
    when the sun comes out the urge to upgrade gets more urgent
  • The only guy who could do it in my lbs said he wont do it. Quite frankly it's not worth the hassle. I understand you'd like me to keep the wheels and get the hub in but if it's to take me more than 5 days of organising things and couple of hours driving and god forbid feckd transfer - that in the end i might save 100 quid. Not worth it folks - to me personally.
  • But out of interest how much could these wheels sell for ?
  • ugo.santalucia
    But out of interest how much could these wheels sell for ?

Interesting question, but against the rules of the forum... :wink:
  • I will sell them locally. Not on ebay, not on anywhere any of you could get the access to them. Say €300 is that under valued price or over ?
This discussion has been closed.