Eddy Merckx AMX-1 Tiagra

awest
awest Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
I've recently spotted this bike at Winstanley's: http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... wwod5z0Akw

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of this bike? Also, Is the bike good value for the money?

Comments

• Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Let's value it on the sum of its parts:
    Wheelset and tyres are about £80 retail.
    Groupset is about £270
    Finishing kit maybe £60
    That just leaves the frame and forks @ £190. Alloy frame/carbon forks can be had for a bit less than this tbh, so the bike is not bargain of the century, but not a rip off.
  • awest
    awest Posts: 6
    That's a good way of breaking it down I guess. Seems like a decent deal then, there seems to be very few bikes around with a FULL tiagra groupset (rather than FSA or other budget components) for less than £700 (my top budget), other than the Ribble Audax- and I found out they don't have any of my size in stock for 2 months after calling them.

Anyways, thanks for breaking it down, going to order it I think.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Watch out for the sizing, Merckx bikes are sized very differently from other bikes.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    IMO its not bad value but for similar money Wiggle have some good deals such as the Cinelli Experience, Mekk CF framed bikes and for a bit more a nice Bianchi.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    eg http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mekk-2g-poggio-p15-sora-2013/

Reasonable carbon framed bike for <£700
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I used to own a 2010 AMX-1 Tiagra and as far as I can see, the 2013 bike uses exactly the same frame and fork. I thought the bike was average, with nothing which really stood out. It was decently stiff, but rode a little dead and pretty hard. It felt quite punishing after a few hours in the saddle. Handling felt safe and predictable. It looked really good in pearl white and red decals and a couple of interesting tube shapes. It does represent good value at £700.

I upgraded to a carbon Cayo Evo and found it to be a big step up in performance, with it being way stiffer under power but much more compliant.
  • dombhoy
    dombhoy Posts: 147
    Planet X alloy rt57 with tiagra and only 8.8kg for £599